Req. Assist. Dating Photograph. USMC Troops Presumed on Guam

world war I nerd

I recently picked up this terrific image of USMC troops in, … ahh, combat, with some of the local indigenous warriors, presumably on the Island of Guam.

Based on the clothing & equipment, it looks to be pre-WW I.

Can any of the many "USMC Nerds" that frequent this forum come up with a more precise date than my pre-WW I estimate?

Much obliged to all who comment & thanks for looking.

World War I Nerd

post-5143-0-03737900-1529701448_thumb.jpg

world war I nerd

Close up of the Marine (and his campaign cover) who's heroically defending his wounded comrade from the bellicose hordes.

post-5143-0-21237600-1529701834_thumb.jpg

MurfreesboroMemphis

It looks like he has a Springfield 1903. According to ETC, the Krag was standard issue from 1900-1911 so it would be post 1911. I think that would be the 1905 leather scabbard he's wearing? The cartridge belt looks to be either a 1907 Mills belt, or an m1910 cartridge belt. Both had the USMC eagle snaps. Lastly, and I could be wrong on this, but I think the 'Montana peak' campaign cover wasn't introduced until the 1912 uniform regulations? Assuming my memory is correct, I would guess the picture is 1913 or later, to allow for circulation of the new covers.

On a side note, is the Marine on the ground wearing overalls? He doesn't appear to have suspenders and trousers as I initially thought. I do have a picture somewhere of two marines training and one is wearing a campaign cover and overalls. Does anyone know if/when they would have been standard issue? Anyone have an example?

world war I nerd

Murfreesboro, your observations dovetail exactly with what I initially thought. I too was also curious about the use of (blue denim/cotton duck?) overalls by the USMC. The Army adopted two different styles of blue denim overalls around 1910 or so … I need to check that date though to be sure. When I have time, I'll compare photos of the Army overalls to see if there are any similarities.

Any thoughts on the machete?

Also, it's interesting how much thought and effort these guys put into creating this picture … war paint, enemy weapons and simulated native clothing, as well as the posing or composition. of the players.