Gentlemen Bastards book review

Patchcollector

Patchcollector

Hi all,
I read this some time ago so this review is long overdue.I'm going to start off by stating that I really didn't like this book,not because it wasn't excellently written,which it was,but because of the Soldiers that were the subject of the book.
I have no doubts that the author was telling the truth,as he is a journalist,and the portrait that he paints of the guys he's embedded with is very unflattering,IMO.
The SF Soldiers come across as whiny,shallow egotistic types that complain about the "Regular Army" because they don't do things like them.Well,if the "Regular Army" were structured and trained like them then there wouldn't be a need for Special Forces would there?
Another thing that contributed to my unfavorable view was that during the time that the author travelled with the Team not much happened in the way of combat,so the read is somewhat tedious,even boring at times.I'm sure that the author was just stating the factual day to day life of being in the Military,which is long periods of boredom punctuated with short moments of sheer terror,so don't expect a rousing read of combat Ops from start to finish.
To sum things up,the book itself is well written,and factual I'm sure as there is no embellishment here just the plain unvarnished truth,which sometimes can be ugly.

post-13386-0-40408900-1529080816.jpg