Engraving on 75mm Shell?

tdogchristy90

tdogchristy90

Just wondering what our engraving experts thought about this. Trying to figure out a timeline on this. As the story goes the soldier was in a field artillery unit in the Philippines and shipped this shell home. Does the engraving look like something that would have been engraved and then presented as a gift before being sent back to the states or does it seem to be post war engraved? Thanks.

post-13708-0-32712700-1527514684.jpeg

Being dated 1940, it's prior to America's entry into the war....Doesn't necessarily mean this was when it was done, but could mean it was done stateside prior to going overseas...What's the shell dated?....Bodes

To accurately answer your question...what type case is it? ( read the head stamp)...eg, 105mm? 75mm? 76mm? 3 inch?....Secondly, post in writing what the engraving says, I can not read it all. Thirdly, measure the case, how tall, and what is the opening diameter. Most not all WW2 head cases were stamped ( some inked) with type, load, manufacture and date....length, was it cut down? Does it still have the primer and tube? Does it have the crossed cannon ordnance mark stamping? Also, post another picture of the complete case. All my questions when answered each tell a story......my first guess with so,so,so little to go on, a 75mm M5A1 Type 1 casing ( 75mm Howitzer)...if so, in addition to the head case engraving, it will be ink marked with the type of loaded projectile...ink marking would say " Shell M48 AMM Lot...." See picture of what to look for.

post-180924-0-42136100-1527520074_thumb.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Being dated 1940, it's prior to America's entry into the war....Doesn't necessarily mean this was when it was done, but could mean it was done stateside prior to going overseas...What's the shell dated?....Bodes

The US had built Army and Navy bases there (PX's, commissaries, etc) since Spain lost the Spanish American war of 1898. We had troops stationed there since that time, and built many fortifications and even huge tunnels in the 1930's. Interesting shell casing if from that time....and I suspect it is what I posted, a 75mm pack howitzer which was widely in use in that terrain. The small 75mm field howitzer was put in service in the late 1920's and used through Vietnam.

The US had built Army and Navy bases there (PX's, commissaries, etc) since Spain lost the Spanish American war of 1898. We had troops stationed there since that time, and built many fortifications and even huge tunnels in the 1930's. Interesting shell casing if from that time....and I suspect it is what I posted, a 75mm pack howitzer which was widely in use in that terrain. The small 75mm field howitzer was put in service in the late 1920's and used through Vietnam.

He was asking about post war engraving, which sounds like he could've been active duty during the war...I was merely pointing out 1940 was prior to our getting involved in the second world war.....War time (or even later) dated shell could help pin down when it was engraved...Bodes

tdogchristy90

Sorry guys, I forgot about this. Life and such. I'll try and get a photo of the bottom of the shell for you so y'all have more to go on. Thanks for the discussion.

24th Field Artillery, established in 1922, Ft Stotsenburg PI. I was only half correct, the shell is indeed a 75mm, M5 case, but for the earlier 1908 or 06 model field gun ( not howitzer) widely in use by our FA till 1945. Correct, primer dated 1937, my guess, he had the shell engraved in Ft Stotsenburg and brought it back. I had a Moro Lantaka engraved " captured at Rogan River...", sold it years ago, engraving souveneers was very popular....the engraving checks out, the unit checks out, the shell time period checks out, the type of artillery used checks out...we had a major presence in PI then, all the comforts of home ( huge bases, PX, commissary, etc).Nice history.