• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 5thwingmarty

5thwingmarty
  • Members
    • Member ID: 96,854
  • 922 posts

Posted 21 December 2017 - 11:12 AM

This was among the parts I was given a number of years ago from the wreckage of one of my uncle's B-17s.  Most of the parts I was given I could identify from the numbers stamped in them, but this one remained a question.  A friend who was a B-17 flight engineer thought it might be a servo for some part of the auto-pilot system, but I just saw  an image elsewhere of what was identified as the gyro for a Norden bombsight, and it was very similar to this.  Unfortunately I only have this one image of the part, which is about 4" across if I remember correctly. 

One of the other parts I was given was the remains of the mount for the bombsight, so I know they had the bombsight at some point.

Any bombsight experts out there who can tell just from this image?

Marty

Attached Images

• Servo.JPG

#2 5thwingmarty

5thwingmarty
  • Members
  • 922 posts

Posted 21 December 2017 - 05:18 PM

I was able to connect with wistarmo who works on Nordens and he confirms it looks like a gyro from a bombsight, although he says they are supposed to be painted black.

#3 [email protected]

[email protected]
  • New Members
    • Member ID: 160,252
  • 19 posts

Posted 23 December 2017 - 01:39 PM

!cid_E5F4BB010B3947E1AB16B951A5BF43EB@TimPC.jpg Here it is.  It is the horizontal gyro from a Norden bombsight sighthead.  I have removed the bottom gyro bearing cover.

#4 5thwingmarty

5thwingmarty
  • Members
  • 922 posts

Posted 23 December 2017 - 06:22 PM

Thank you for posting this photo.  That is clearly the same part and its nice to see it from the same angle as my photo.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users