Photo

Millennium Club Intruder patch, Military? A-6?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Siamundo

Siamundo
  • Members
    • Member ID: 2,744
  • 1,413 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 08:22 AM

Does anyone know for sure what this patch is or what it represents? It seems to always be identified as connected to or referring to the A-6 Intruder, but is that correct? If so, what is the Millennium Club? Is it for 1000 hours of flight time? At first I though maybe it referred to breaking the sound barrier-i.e Mach 1, and that was the wall the panther was breaking but I was not sure A-6 Intruders could do that. Why the panther? If it is military related, is it related to Navy Attack Squadron 35?

Attached Images

• DSC00076.JPG

Edited by Siamundo, 19 March 2017 - 08:30 AM.

#2 Siamundo

Siamundo
  • Members
  • 1,413 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 08:24 AM

I have also seen these identified as being made in Japan. Would that be correct?

Attached Images

• DSC00077.JPG

#3 Bluehawk

Bluehawk
  • Members
    • Member ID: 3,976
  • 7,000 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 05:04 PM

I gave about an hour to searching where there was open access, for something to reference the patch, in both Navy and Marine aviation. This is all I came up with:

- Found one Navy A-6 squadron that at least once used a black panther image on a patch > ATKRON 35, as you wondered

- Didn't see anything involving breaking through brick walls, but such an image certainly suggests getting past some sort of performance barrier

- "Millenium Club" is now-and-then used in civilian aviation circles to record 1,000 hours flight time, but I don't know if Navy or other military used it that way

- Looked every which way using all key words in varieties of combinations, and that is all I could come up with for now.

Sure will be nice to find out where the patch was made.

#4 Siamundo

Siamundo
  • Members
  • 1,413 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 03:39 AM

Hi Bluehawk, thank you for taking the time in trying to help out with a definitive ID for this patch. You share some good observations. I appreciate the effort!

#5 Randy

Randy
  • Members
    • Member ID: 8,832
  • 1,577 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 07:42 AM

Sure will be nice to find out where the patch was made.

I don't know much about Navy stuff, but as far as where it looks 1970s US made.

Randy

#6 Siamundo

Siamundo
  • Members
  • 1,413 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 06:45 PM

Thanks Randy. I'll agree, it doesn't strike me as a typical Japanese looking made patch but I am not positive if it is US made or not based on the lettering. There does seem to be a little bit of inconsistency in some of the letters as is sometimes found on Asian made patches but realistically, lettering could just as easily be slightly different on a US made patch as well. Specifically, there are three 'L's in the top and all are just slightly different as are the 'M's. I thought it was odd too that the bottom letters all have serifs yet the top letters do not.

#7 Bearmon

Bearmon
  • Members
    • Member ID: 582
  • 4,093 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 07:36 PM

I have seen just the Black Cat breaking through the wall on a patch with just the intruder logo at the bottom which signified the A6 to me.  I think the millennium club is an addition to the standard patch.  obviously done at the time of manufacture but added on.  I would go with the 1000 flight hours, the jet jockeys loved to celebrate milestones, look how many different centurion patches are out there.   

#8 firefighter

firefighter
  • Members
    • Member ID: 105,435
  • 12,983 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 04:19 PM

Could be a 1000 hours patch for an A-6?

#9 Siamundo

Siamundo
  • Members
  • 1,413 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 03:36 AM

Thanks firefighter. It seems to be the consensus that Millennium Club refers to 1000 hours of flight time.

#10 firefighter

firefighter
  • Members
    • Member ID: 105,435
  • 12,983 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 06:33 AM

Thanks firefighter. It seems to be the consensus that Millennium Club refers to 1000 hours of flight time.

Yes. Sorry I meant to add that I think it may be something from Northrop-Grumman and not a particular squadron. A-6 Prowler

#11 ScottA

ScottA
  • New Members
    • Member ID: 219,173
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 March 2019 - 05:32 PM

The Panther breaking through the wall was Grumman’s initial idea for the A-6 Intruder patch, the Navy came up with their final version (pictured below).  The above picture is from the flight jacket of a Navy A-6 acceptance assigned to the Grumman Bethpage plant in the late 60’s, they wore the Grumman submitted patch as a throwback.  No idea about the millennium patch, but it may be a thousand hour deal for Grumman assigned pilots.  The below Navy patch is what 1000 hour USN regular intruder pilots wore.

Scott

I hope the pictures show up, they are not displaying on my computer...If not, perhaps someone can lead me to the proper way to post JPG.  Thanks  Scott

#12 ScottA

ScottA
  • New Members
    • Member ID: 219,173
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 March 2019 - 05:40 PM

Grumman Intruder initial patch.JPG

The Panther breaking through the wall was Grumman’s initial idea for the A-6 Intruder patch, the Navy came up with their final version (pictured below).  The above picture is from the flight jacket of a Navy A-6 acceptance assigned to the Grumman Bethpage plant in the late 60’s, they wore the Grumman submitted patch as a throwback.  No idea about the millennium patch, but it may be a thousand hour deal for Grumman assigned pilots.  The below Navy patch is what 1000 hour USN regular intruder pilots wore.

Scott

Attached Images

• regular USN Intruder patch.JPG

#13 usaf70

usaf70
  • Members
    • Member ID: 388
  • 981 posts

Posted 28 March 2019 - 08:02 PM

VMA-224 has a similar look

#14 usaf70

usaf70
  • Members
    • Member ID: 388
  • 981 posts

Posted 29 March 2019 - 10:05 AM

Here is the VMA-224 patch

Attached Images

• 715e8ff80.jpg

#15 Bluehawk

Bluehawk
  • Members
    • Member ID: 3,976
  • 7,000 posts

Posted 29 March 2019 - 10:38 AM

I wonder what the connection, if any (?), might be between the "Millennium Club" and the "Bengals" of VMA-224?

#16 Steindaddie

Steindaddie
  • Members
    • Member ID: 1,949
  • 1,339 posts

Posted 02 April 2019 - 10:14 PM

Just to add further evidence to the tale, this is the generic A-6 patch given me by a man who was skipper of VA-165 in the late 1960s.

Attached Images

• Webp.net-resizeimage.jpg

#17 Siamundo

Siamundo
  • Members
  • 1,413 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 03:11 AM

Thanks everyone for the additional information. It definitely sounds like an aircraft patch for the A-6

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users