Help identifying old portrait

30Mauser

Hi folks, apologies for what is possibly not directly US-related, but a friend picked up this portrait and wondered if we might be able help her identify its era and/or nationality based on the medals and uniform.

Thanks in advance for any insights or any guidance on the proper venue for such a post.

Posted Image

General Kosciuszko, American officer and Polish hero. Very nice portrait. 

Wow, thank you for the fast and detailed response!

I'm off now to query what medals he was awarded and reconcile them to these images ... (unless you might already know)

Found them!

The medals you see are:

Order of Cincinnati (the eagle)... for membership in the Society of the Cincinnati, a fellowship of officers who served in the US Continental Army during the revolution. Coincidentally, my family holds membership in this society as well.

Virtuti Militari (the cross)... Poland's highest military decoration for heroism and courage in the face of the enemy at war.

He fought in the Revolutionary War. That eagle looks like the order of the Cincinnati. If my memory serve me correct he was an engineer and was instrumental in building fortifications.

Any time. I went to a Polish school for about four years, and his image was INGRAINED into my mind! One of the only things I still remember haha

That portrait looks like it was from the centennial 1876 period...but I could be wrong.

Thank you! That's more educated of a guess than I could possibly muster.