• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5 replies to this topic

#1 teufelhunde.ret

teufelhunde.ret

• Moderators
    • Member ID: 376
  • 21,582 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 01:43 PM

The appearance of stamped / wired versions of 1875 enlisted undress cap emblem likely came to an end about in 1898 as the fore and aft campaign cover photo’s of the period showed the stamped with various wire configurations for mounting the emblem to the side at first and on the front at a later date. An identical emblem in nickel plate was worn on the enlisted epaulettes of the period.

Attached Images

• 1898_campaign_cover.jpg
  • 1898_campaign_cover_back.jpg

#2 Schnicklfritz

Schnicklfritz
  • Members
    • Member ID: 115
  • 1,541 posts

Posted 28 June 2007 - 12:41 PM

I believe about the 1890's, but I'm really unsure about the date for this one. I believe these had a light bronze or gilt colored wash applied. Look in the areas on the pics to see what I believe are the reminants of the applied finish. See the pics.

Attached Images

• DSCN0474.JPG
  • DSCN0475.JPG
  • DSCN0476.JPG

Edited by teufelhunde.ret, 11 July 2007 - 11:21 AM.

#3 Schnicklfritz

Schnicklfritz
  • Members
  • 1,541 posts

Posted 28 June 2007 - 12:44 PM

more.. There are two different EGAs posted here. One I believe had the prongs resoldered at one point. The second I believe has the original solder applied.

Attached Images

• DSCN0477.JPG
  • DSCN0478.JPG
  • DSCN0479.JPG

#4 Schnicklfritz

Schnicklfritz
  • Members
  • 1,541 posts

Posted 28 June 2007 - 12:45 PM

second EGA

Attached Images

• DSCN0481.JPG
  • DSCN0482.JPG

#5 teufelhunde.ret

teufelhunde.ret

• Moderators
  • 21,582 posts

Posted 28 June 2007 - 12:50 PM

Yours is patterned after the 1875 model EGA. In bronze they were used on the field hat in 1908. The "gilt brass" counterpart was used earlier in 1897 for the bell crown cap. The were done in nickel plate brass as well and worn on the shako 1876-1892; shoulder knots 1892-1904 and the gilt-finish brass wire back version worn on the Kepi from 1876-97.

I am not certain if this was a gilt finish to begin... it would almost appear, someone applied over the top of guilting another finish??? Since this is a stamped thin plate, it would have been a shako / kepi emblem. I am speculating due to the applied finish??? Another factor may be, is it a Bannermans surplus item? I just cannot tell from the pic's.... Gary?

Edited by teufelhunde.ret, 11 July 2007 - 11:19 AM.

#6 teufelhunde.ret

teufelhunde.ret

• Moderators
  • 21,582 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 11:25 AM

Fellow forum members:

You are in the EGA "reference section". This area is were posts from the EGA "discussion section" are moved for permanent retention and education about the history of the Eagle, Globe and Anchor. As time moves forward there maybe additional information the EGA Moderators wish to add or will add to this specific post. We ask for your input as well.

We encourage further comments about this post and its content. In order to do so, you will need to start a new post in the "EGA discussion area" which is listed in the main page under insignia. And as needed we will be pleased to move any new and or valued information that is derived from your post (and subsequent comments) into this reference area as its own standing post.

Please be advised; posting and or editing is restricted on this post to moderator's and forum staff

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users