78 replies to this topic

#76 SgtMaddoxUSMC

SgtMaddoxUSMC
  • Members
    • Member ID: 133,515
  • 2,320 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 08:04 AM

Scott,

If you get a chance, would you be able to email me a hi-res scan of this photo?

Here's the NCO Mess at the Philadelphia Navy Yard in December 1921.  A couple of sergeants, quartermaster sergeants, a gunnery sergeant, and a chief petty officer.

My great uncle Hugo Winter is on the far left.  He was a veteran of Vera Cruz, Haiti, and eventually Nicaragua.

#77 Justin B.

Justin B.
  • Members
    • Member ID: 3,982
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 10:16 AM

I just discovered the USMC Uniform Regulations of 1929 online, and was interested to see a chevron insignia that was new to me. On Plate 48, it show Quartermaster Sergeant for the Adjutant and Inspector's Department with a shield in the center above the three ties, with the "plain" three tie stripes for Master Technical Sergeant. I looked through the threads here and couldn't find anything on the one with the shield. Anyone know any more details? Was it short-lived?

Thanks,

Justin B.

#78 SgtMaddoxUSMC

SgtMaddoxUSMC
  • Members
    • Member ID: 133,515
  • 2,320 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 09:28 PM

Very short lived, from about 1926-29.  In 1931 there is no mention of the rank.  I would love to find a photo of these being worn for my book.

I just discovered the USMC Uniform Regulations of 1929 online, and was interested to see a chevron insignia that was new to me. On Plate 48, it show Quartermaster Sergeant for the Adjutant and Inspector's Department with a shield in the center above the three ties, with the "plain" three tie stripes for Master Technical Sergeant. I looked through the threads here and couldn't find anything on the one with the shield. Anyone know any more details? Was it short-lived?

Thanks,

Justin B.

#79 Brig

Brig

SENIOR MODERATOR

• Senior Moderators
    • Member ID: 22
  • 20,711 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 06:13 PM

Very short lived, from about 1926-29.  In 1931 there is no mention of the rank.  I would love to find a photo of these being worn for my book.

If you can link any names to the rank, the archives might have official photos

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

In Memory of Co-Founder GREG MILLS ROBINSON, a.k.a. "Marine-KaBar"
(February 17, 1949 - March 5, 2011)