1967 "Cap'n Fatso" by RADM Daniel V. Gallery

hhbooker2

My good buddies, DPSCDan and Mustang Guy turned me on to a great author of United States Navy books which included a few that were military humour too! The central figure is Boatswain's Mate First Class "Fatso" Gioninni of the LCU 1124, who is the Navy's answer to the Army's Master Sergeant Ernest G. Bilko played by the late Phil Silvers on "You'll Never Get Rich!" Don Rickles as CPO Sharkey doesn't even come close to "Fatso!" RADM Daniel V. Gallery graduatred from the Naval Academy in 1920 (a year ahead of his class), and retired in 1960 as a Rear Admiral. He commanded the hunter-killer task group that captured the German submarine U-505 off the African coast in 1944. He also wrote: "Now, Hear This!" as well as "Eight Bells, and All's Well," "Stand By-y-y to Start Engines," "Clear the Decks," "Twenty Million Ton Under the Sea," and "The Brink." "Cap'm Fatso" is 192 pages of reading enjoyment and pure fun. Fatso had the distinction of being the recipient of the coveted NAVY CROSS twice and the Purple Heart Medal and almost 30 years service. DPSCDan and Mustang Guy, you two gentlemen really know your books, thank you ever so much! :rolleyes: Sarge Booker of Tujunga, California ([email protected])

post-837-1222113041.jpg

I have to agree -- these are good reading, for sure. I never found them all, but I see Amazon.com has several listed.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_b?url=se...p;x=17&y=19

G

GIL: think.gif Quite right. There are a few offerings of Admiral Gallery's books and they range in price from a dollar to almost one hundred dollars. Mine was under ten dollars and I see starting bids for fifty dollars for same on eBay, doesn't figure? I'm sure someone can get all of them if they wait for the bargains to appear and in the meantime read "Cap'n Fatso" first and then proceed forward. I got to see the U-505 in Chicago when I was there in 1967 and went aboard, quite an experience too! I had been aboard U.S. Navy subs as early as 1944 as my sister's father was a China sailor in the 1930s Navy on submarine duty. He retired as a Chief Electrician's Mate. Admiral Gallery was also at the centre of the so-cakked "Revolt of the Admirals" in the kate 1940s. think.gif Sarge Booker

post-837-1222133957.jpg

post-837-1222133969.jpg

post-837-1222133981.jpg

post-837-1222134127.jpg