USMC EGA DRUM MAJOR SASH DEVICE?

gatormeat

finally Tim Llie's BENDER USMC EGA ref book is out!

of course i pre-ordered my copy (CA resident be advised on the sales tax!!!)

from JR himself over the phone---nice guy!

at any rate----can't wait or don't know if my said insignia device is in the book.

the local expert told me it was circa 1910-1920 USMC DRUM MAJOR sash badge device

(or some sorts)

has 3-D M1937 looking officer spread legged EGA on metal oval badge disc

has the early T-hinge on the pinback.

Interesting mfgr hallmarking of S.N. MEYER

WASH. DC. (not ns meyer NYNY)

gold wash is fading......

any ideas if initial prognosis was right?

post-1303-0-75380900-1464035535.jpg

post-1303-0-83145600-1464035553.jpg

post-1303-0-33223800-1464035563.jpg

Never seen anything like it...I imagine there should be some official band photos that may provide reference. I've seen the pattern pin on pre-1900 devices, however the EGA pattern itself is post-1900

The pattern EGA is not 1937...it's a pre-1910 pattern, sometimes referred to as 1904, sometimes 1908...

To me, it's a 1904 Gemsco pattern on a disc marked S.N.Meyer. Like Brig said, period Band photos would help. Other than that, I have no answers.

• 2 weeks later...
teufelhunde.ret

Sorry to inform you, this is not a band related item, in any form. During the years I spent editing Tim's manuscript this design came up more than once. It is pre WW1 based on the EGA design and T-bar pin. However the origins of band sash used the pre 1900 plate and EGA as seen in this pic. There are no pics to be found of Bandsmen wearing a sash pin of this nature or the like, not to mention an officers collar emblem on a period sweetheart plate.

The reason I could not suggest to Tim the using this design... it simply could not be positioned in the book as anything credible, or of official use. The other photo shows the current sash in us. If anyone has a band sash photo pre dating 1937, pls post! Thx, Darrell

image.jpeg

image.jpeg