WIA USMC tag. Need help.

USdog

Just picked this one up on a BIN on eBay. Couldn't pass it up as I don't have many WIA marine tags.

However, I'm having trouble finding what his unit was? Muster rolls don't list his unit at the time he was wounded.

post-93633-0-45857500-1456969060.jpg

837854 18-SEP-44 COA, 3DARMAMPH, 3RDAC, PALAU IS.

Thanks tarbridge! As you can see I just found that too lol. Looks like it is the 3rd Armored Amphibian Battalion. I read online that they drove the LTV's before the first wave at Peleliu, interesting.

There is a book call "before the first wave" The 3rd armored amphibian battalion Peleliu and Okinawa. he is listed in Andersen Merle B - Wia

might be interesting to see if there is any more references to him

Mark

Thanks for the info Mark. I might have to get that book. A friend on the forum PMed me actually and told me that he thinks their unit history has how he was WIA. So I'll have to wait and see what it says. Should be interesting.

USdog -

Lol! You and I pressed the BIN button at the almost exact second - I must have literally been a tenth of a second behind you because when I hit the Pay Now button I was confused when the next page popped up "Sorry you missed this" - It took me a few seconds to figure out what happened!

Great pick up! Glad it was you! Can't beat that price!

Best,

Bill K.

Bill,

Wow lol. My iPad was going so slow I was worried that someone else was gonna snatch it up before I would be able to pay. I guess I was right to be afraid haha! Agreed, for the price it was irresistible. Don't worry though Bill, I'm sure there's gonna another great USMC tag waiting for you next ;)

So I got his casualty card. Looks like he was WIA by mortar shrapnel in the right shoulder and was evacuated. Can anyone tell from the card if he returned to his unit for Okinawa?

post-93633-0-32461500-1457116515.jpg

Squad leader

According to the muster roll of Jan. 1945, he had rejoined A Co., 3rd Armored Amphibian Battalion. My guess is that he was at Okinawa (unless he was transfered in the meantime).

Dan.

PS. Nice tag!

Thanks Dan! What gets me though is his early discharge of July 1945.

EDIT: discharge was ordered on that date and looks like he was actually discharged in August 1945

Here's one of his muster rolls which I think discredits service at Okinawa.

Muster Date: Apr 1945

Station: Casual Company Number Two, Md Usnh, San Diego, California

Squad leader

I think you're right. I haven't checked the muster rolls with the 2 different spellings (Andersen/Andresen).

If he is the same Marine, he was transfered before Okinawa.

I'm currently re-reading "With The Old Breed" by E.B. Sledge. Concerning Peleliu, he tells that the Amtracs were used to bring supply to the front line and to bring the wounded back to the aid stations.

Dan.

I think you're right. I haven't checked the muster rolls with the 2 different spellings (Andersen/Andresen).

If he is the same Marine, he was transfered before Okinawa.

I'm currently re-reading "With The Old Breed" by E.B. Sledge. Concerning Peleliu, he tells that the Amtracs were used to bring supply to the front line and to bring the wounded back to the aid stations.

Dan.

Dan,

I didn't think of typing Andersen instead of the spelling on the tag in the muster rolls. Now I see two extra muster rolls for July 1944 and January 1945 for him. He does show up coming back to his unit in January, I wonder why he transferred back to a naval hospital?

Could be medical complications from a piece of shrap they missed, could have gotten sick from the water, could have simply twisted an ankle. You'd likely need his medical record to be certain, and they only release that to NOK...check the notes column on the rolls, occasionally they entered reasons

That is defiantly a possibility. Good thinking guys...

The tag came today as well. Has just the right amount of wear ;)

post-93633-0-15552000-1457215442.jpg