1904 coat display...proper webbing?

Good day all.

I recently aquired a great example of a wool 1904 pattern coat and I wish to display it with the proper webbing for an infantryman.

I presently have it displayed with a complete set of 1903 webbing, but I wonder if it may be more appropriate with an earlier type, say a double loop cartridge belt with canteen and haversack suspended by leather straps. I ask since I have come accross opinions that the 1903 rifle and likley the accompanying gear was not readily available in 1904.

Any suggestions is greatly appreciated,

TR

Hi TR,

While it is correct that the early M1903 rifles were not issued universally, they were still out there in 1904. In fact, a long held theory I have is that the first real public viewing of the rifle on a large scale was at the 1904 World's fair, and I managed to track down a photo to prove part of that theory after years of searching. Of course some members of the USMA corps of cadets attended and drilled for the public, while the only other large scale issuance of the rifles was among those in the Philippines and Alaska.

RC

Hello RC, thanks for responding. Always good to hear from you.

What would you say the liklihood is that in 1904 an average infantryman woulld still be equiped with the older gear? I have z set of such gear, so I have no problem going that way either...