LCDR Paul Allen De Tamble , 28Jun15

Reaper

It is with a heavy heart that I announce the passing of navy LCDR Paul Allen de Tamble this day about 1530 hrs. A naval aviator who would take combat flights when his fellow pilots did not want to go, simply because he got more time in the air; it did not matter to him the reason he was able to fly, he just wanted to fly. LCDR de Tamble was 92, and still lived alone in his house, still driving himself around town; he had just bought a new car.

He was a pilot during WWII, Korea, and Viet Nam. He flew Corsairs and other prop-driven aircraft during WWII, but after flying a Cougar he was never the same, stating "When I got a jet engine under me, I was done with propellers". He was also a test pilot between wars, continually pushing the envelope and testing the limits of his aircraft and himself. He was a unique individual, a hero, a father, and my friend and the world is hereafter forever diminished because of his absence.

In his honor, I remind us all of this poem: I believe that it describes his life, his mindset, and his heart. It certainly describes his naval aviator's heart.

"Oh, I have slipped the surly bonds of earth,
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;
Sunward I've climbed and joined the tumbling mirth of sun-split clouds -
and done a hundred things You have not dreamed of -
wheeled and soared and swung high in the sunlit silence.
Hovering there I've chased the shouting wind along
and flung my eager craft through footless halls of air.

"Up, up the long delirious burning blue
I've topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace,
where never lark, or even eagle, flew;
and, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod
the high untrespassed sanctity of space,
put out my hand and touched the face of God."

-- High Flight

John Gillespie Magee, Jr.

cf. this thread also: http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?app=members&module=messaging&section=view&do=showConversation&topicID=96139&st=0#msg171286

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

Paul DeTamble was in USNTPS Class 11. To give you an idea about the history the man lived though, Scott Carpenter was in Class 13.

Paul was a close friend. I hadn't seen him in over a year. He passed without me finding out until late. I am a bit concerned. It seems much of his history and belongings were left in his house in Alabama. They are being sold off by the new residents. I know Paul was married several times. One of his daughters passed away at 62 and was a Navy Officer. I met Paul's last wife a couple of years ago when she was staying at Paul's house in Pensacola. His granddaughter was also staying with him. She was pregnant at the time and later stayed with him after she gave birth.

Paul's Logbooks, flight gear, (even his parachute), USNTPS Graduation documents that I had TPS reissue him in 2006, family photos and so much more have been sold on eBay. I am at a loss that his family did not receive these items. I also tried to find out what has been sold and what is left. The person selling them is a thrift shop / antique dealer in Mobile. He is just the go between. I had him contact the people who are actually selling Paul's belongings and they refused to contact me and refused the person selling them on eBay to identify them.

I have been trying to run down some of Paul's family but I haven't had the time I need. Reaper? We probably know one another. What else do you know about Paul's death? Where was his funeral held and did you attend?

• 1 year later...

I know this is pretty old but I hope some of you that knew Paul see this. I am the new owner of Pauls Alabama Home. I am not the one who sold of his personal items. The home was foreclosed on after Pauls death and from what I was told by a neighbor, Pauls stepdaughter came to the home after his death and removed any belongings shes was interested in. The rest were left in the home and acquired by the party that bought the home at foreclosure. I bought the home from said party and unfortunately very little was left. There are still some hand written notes, magazine and such left, Id be happy to share these with family and friends if they are interested!