USMC wide chevrons

SgtMaddoxUSMC

SgtMaddoxUSMC

Here is my full set of screw-backed enlisted wide rank insignia finally mounted and labeled. Someone confirm the dates and ranks? Some of the old regulations are a little cryptic.

post-133515-0-22912600-1419646047.jpg

Nice little collection. Did the US Army ever have wide rank like this? I have 2 pieces that are clutch back, but never knew who exactly they belong too.

Stoney

SgtMaddoxUSMC

Thanks guys! Stoney - I'm not quite sure if the Army used this or not. I'm sure someone on the forum has to know! Hopefully they'll comment and then we will know for certain.

The Army never used this kind of insignia. The standard metal insignia adopted in the late 1960s was 3/4 inches wide. The Army did use some rough cast brass metal chevrons during the 1950s that were just like the ones the Marines used. The Army chevrons had a dark blue painted backing and the Marines had red painted backing. I have seen the wide Marine chevrons with both screw back and clutch back. The clutch back were later manufacture.

SgtMaddoxUSMC

Thanks Hardstripe. That answers that question. Also, in case anyone reading this happens to have any of the red painted brass USMC theater-made chevrons, I am always looking to buy them! Right now all I have is Corporal, SSgt, and TSgt (GySgt). If you know someone that has PFC, Sgt, MSgt or 1Sgt please let me know! Thanks everyone!

Very nice collection of chevrons.

I have been doing a bit of research lately on enlisted rank insignia, and ran across this in the book United States Marine Corps Grade Insignia Since 1775 by Preston B. Perrenot:

"Marines in the Korean War were still using stencils to put black chevrons on the sleeves of their uniforms. In 1956, the matter was finally resolved when the Marine Corps introduced collar grade insignia for Marine enlisted men. These insignia were of black metal, 1" wide, and pinned onto the collars of the utility uniform shirt and the front of utility uniform covers."

The author doesn't cite a source for this info, however.

SgtMaddoxUSMC

That would make sense going with the dates this particular rank structure was in effect (Dec 1954 - Jan 1959) except that these chevrons are a little wider at 1 3/16".

I never measured them before, but mine are also 1 3/16" wide.

A little discrepancy like that makes me wary of quoting the date he gives.

Did you say in your original post that you have access to the uniform regs from the period? Are they available on-line somewhere?

That is a good one, though it is hard to follow sometimes. I do okay with it up until about WWI, then it starts to get a lot less clear. It would be nice if it had more illustrations of the insignia. The one I mentioned is decent, but MUCH less detailed. Still looking for a great reference.

jasonc, on 30 Dec 2014 - 1:30 PM, said:

I have been doing a bit of research lately on enlisted rank insignia, and ran across this in the book United States Marine Corps Grade Insignia Since 1775 by Preston B. Perrenot:

Yeah, I'm not saying it's wrong, but I would be careful with that source. It has a lot of mistakes in it and little to cite where it's coming from.

Justin B.