Intersting CBI AAC issue M1941...flight jacket

Corpsman_1941

Corpsman_1941

I picked up this very nice M1941 issued by CBI bomb pilot. Its interesting why this man issued it instead of A2 jacket which was so much warmer than M41. This jacket have a lot of patches "ghosts"...

post-117046-0-90069600-1408522901.jpg

Corpsman_1941

over right pocket: Bomb suadron patch, I thought it was ATC patch but ATC pocket patch is 4'' wide,patch which was here was 1'' wider than ATC, brown strap is "shadow" of leather name tag, over name tag were shirt size pilot wings

post-117046-0-01249800-1408523053.jpg

Corpsman_1941

CBI patch "shadow", its quite larger than typican US made CBI patch so it seems to be theater made

post-117046-0-69803700-1408523337.jpg

Corpsman_1941

Blood Chit "shadow", unfortunately I don't found manufacture tag. I will post new photos when I will recive some new patches for this jacket :) . Anyone have ideas why this pilot issued this jacket instead of A2? Waiting for your opinions.

Regards

James

post-117046-0-38000500-1408523533.jpg

doinworkinvans

Alot of the pilots and crew used the M1941 jacket in place of the other jackets. It is not that they were issued these in place of the A2, I am sure they had both types of jackets. You have to remember it was much warmer and muddier and dirtier there in the Pacific/CBI theater. These were more easily washed/cleaned and just a lighter jacket for the warmer climate. But rest assured, there were plenty of beautiful A2's in the CBI as well!

Daniel

doinworkinvans

Here is a good shot from my library of ATC pics showing a good range of jackets. You see the guy with the A2 and chit on the back standing right beside a field jacket with ATC breast patch and a good mix of shearling jackets. The ATC guys liked the field jackets in my opinion and just reading and looking at hundreds of pictures.

Field Jacket 2.jpg

doinworkinvans

One more...a pilot in the jacket and the ground crew cheif in the shearling jacket. Hope this helps!

Field jacket1.jpg

Daniel is right on the money I have a very large grouping! footlocker! clothing bag and 125 pieces to a navigator in the CBI theater.I have his A2 but also his well used M41. With warmer temps, I bet they wore that M41 on the ground a lot. Kevin

doinworkinvans

Daniel is right on the money I have a very large grouping! footlocker! clothing bag and 125 pieces to a navigator in the CBI theater.I have his A2 but also his well used M41. With warmer temps, I bet they wore that M41 on the ground a lot. Kevin

Have you ever shared this on the forum?! I for one would love to see it!

Daniel

doinworkinvans

over right pocket: Bomb suadron patch, I thought it was ATC patch but ATC pocket patch is 4'' wide,patch which was here was 1'' wider than ATC, brown strap is "shadow" of leather name tag, over name tag were shirt size pilot wings

Corpsman...I would almost bet that is a ATC patch. They were all different sizes. If I were a betting man, that would be my guess!

Corpsman_1941

Thats interesting, I will also like to see it :) but Im almost sure that this one jacket which I have was wore as flight jacket, if it was wore on the ground I think i won't have blood chit

doinworkinvans

Oh I am sure it was worn in flight! I was not saying that it was strictly worn on the ground. The ATC in the C46 and C47 planes didnt go as high altitude as the bomber crews did, thus no need for all the heavy flight gear. Especially if they were just doing hop and skip flights from base to base. Now, if an ATC crew were going over the "Hump" (the Himalaya mountains) then yes, they would be at a higher altitude.

Sorry for any confusion! But yes, I am sure this was worn in flight as well as on the ground!

Corpsman_1941

I've measured size of patch "ghost" size, its 5 1/4 inch, I don't found any ATC patches measuring 5 1/4 inches but I found uite many US suadrons patches measuring exactly 5 1/4 inch

Corpsman_1941

Yeah it can be like that :) but watch ATC patch and "ghost" of patch on my jacket... its so much larger! Unfortunately only name on this jacket was on name tag, when name tag gone I lost any chanse to ID owner...

I agree as well, could have been worn in

Flight just saying on ground as well given the warmer climate. Don't want to jack this thread so I will try to post the grouping I referred to above sometime soon. Kevin

Corpsman_1941

I have just one question about wearing of flight jackets by CBI pilots (officers) and I thought that I won't make new topic just for this question... Im interested how usually officers which were pilots of transport planes or bombers wore their flight jacket: Just on khaki shirt on on HBT coverall?