dog tag ; a hero of the 90th infantry division

shifty5580

Hello guys,

Here is one of my recent discoveries. A dog tag belong to Clemmon s Holden

He received the purple heart with oak leaf, and a silver star

He was in the 357th infantry, company G I think

But I don't see him on the 357th infantry purple heart recipients, if someone can help me to know more about him, have a book of the 90th infantry

And how he received a silver star?holden11.jpg

Thank's a lot

Bertrand

I would request the GO for the silver star citation. It costs $25.... Should tell you how he recieved it. PM forum member "swag."

Thanks for your comments USdog

25 dollards, It's a little bit high for only one information :(

Bertrand

Yes, that's the thing about research, it can be expensive sometimes! :) But I understand though...

I get them because it gives you a good bit of personal contributions they made in the war that you can't get anywhere else and IMO is well worth the $25.

Garandomatic

Definitely get the GO if he got a silver star. I have a helmet that came home with a 5th Division man. Come to find out, he crossed 600 yards of fire-swept terrain to rescue the pilot of a crashed plane that was in danger of being captured by the Germans. That is the kind of information worth figuring out!

Thank's guys,

The informations about a war hero have really no price

I can pay 25dollards but don't have paypal so it's a big problem to pay the the USA...

Bertrand

90thDivHistory

Ok,

Here is the GO you are looking for. If you think the citation is worth $25 then donate it to the forum or to the 90th Division Association.

Respectfully,

Tyler Alberts

post-2231-0-18960400-1396843660.jpg

Whow, Great mister Alberts!!!

Thanks a lot for help me to discover more about this men :) I really enjoy this paper and printing to put with the dog tag

Now I try to find where he received his purple heart

Thanks!!!

Bertrand

• 5 months later...

Hello shifty5580! You are not going to believe this but I am from Granville County NC and I personally knew the man whose dog tags those once were. He passed away about 3 years ago. Let me tell you how I know him. I have known this man for about 10 years. A few years back my grandfather died. After his passing, my grandma became friends with Clemmon Holden through her church. We knew him as "Pete". She became really good friends with him about 5 years before he died and he used to come over to her house almost every day. I had known he was in the military and in the 90th infantry but not known much about it and didn't want to ask him as it might bring up some hard memories. About 3 years before he died he asked me if I wanted to know how he got his medals. He told me he had 2 purple hearts, a silver star, bronze star, and some other medals from german and france campaign. He told me how he got his purple hearts: one gunshot wound to the groin and the other one in the shoulder I believe. He also told me about his silver star. It lined up EXACTLY to the official account in the post above. He did tell me that he used his tommy gun in the actions that got him the silver star. He never received his medals until about 2 years before his death until one of his war friends took care of the problem. He told me it didn't bother him he didn't get his medals because it reminds him about what he did to receive them. the US govt finally sent him his medals not long after. Before he died, he showed me his actual medals and some other WWII stuff he brought back from the war. He bought some mini medals representing the actual medals he received that one would wear on a suit or hat and gave them to me. I still have them. Now, what is strange and how I know Clemmon S Holden is the same guy is the other day, I just figured I'd plug his name into google and see what pops up. This page was the first thing. He told me before he died that he was from Hickory NC. When I saw the dogtag I dismissed it because it said Granite Falls NC. I googled Granite Falls NC and found out that it is a "suburb" of Hickory NC. Then when I read the official report of the silver star account I got goosebumps because I knew this was the same guy because it is the exact same account of what he told me some years ago. I just wanted to tell you this because I thought it was pretty cool. He made it through the war and died at 84.