What do you guys think about this patch?

bazelot

Johnny Signor

First time I have ever seen the design , I'm sure it's original , the cheesecloth backing is typical as is the "twill" front....................................

I wonder what years the pilot was in this unit.They used this design 1944-1947 then went to another until 1950.They then went back to the winged glove design.I have not seen a WW2 Navy squadron that looks quite like this.I wonder if its early 50s its got that type of look.Its just a question and no matter what the period I would pay 100.00 any day for it.Scotty

The pilot was in the unit from 1943 to 45. The thing is Bombing Eighteen became Attack Squadron VA-7A on 15 November 1946 so a patch made in the 50s would not say Bombing 18.

Hello,

This patch is definately the WWII patch for VB-18 or Bombing 18. It is absolutely original and of the period. When it became an attack Squadron the design was changed to depict a small boy wearing boxing gloves and then when it was redesignated once again they went back to this design. This is a rare patch and if I didn't alreadfy have one would go after it myself.

navyair-ww2

Well that ansers that question thanks for the reply that must be a very rare squadron insignia.Scotty

Hello,

This patch is definately the WWII patch for VB-18 or Bombing 18. It is absolutely original and of the period. When it became an attack Squadron the design was changed to depict a small boy wearing boxing gloves and then when it was redesignated once again they went back to this design. This is a rare patch and if I didn't alreadfy have one would go after it myself.

navyair-ww2

THanks, can you post pictures of yours?

I'm in a conversation on another forum about this patch and before I upset anyone here allow me to apologize in advance for asking this question. But how do we know that it is definitely a WW2 issued patch? The examples I've seen so far are new condition, never sewn. I had the same thoughts of it looking late 40's to 50's initially and holy smokes, pardon me for having that thought. Guess I'd just like to see a period photo or something as opposed to speculation or an I said so. On this other forum, it seems as if I'm expected to just zip it and conform. Again, please don't take offense by my question, but I have not seen or heard anything even remotely close to rock solid proof. To me, it is most likely WW2 considering the circumstances, AAANNNDDDD, it looks like later than WW2 manufacture.

Johnny Signor

Or how about one of it being used in the late 40's -50's along with a WW2 era one that would prove it to be either -or ....................................

I still lean towards WW2 , the Navy was very well know to change the titles and design each time a unit emblem was redesignated , so this again is why I think it's WW2

I'm in a conversation on another forum about this patch and before I upset anyone here allow me to apologize in advance for asking this question. But how do we know that it is definitely a WW2 issued patch? The examples I've seen so far are new condition, never sewn. I had the same thoughts of it looking late 40's to 50's initially and holy smokes, pardon me for having that thought. Guess I'd just like to see a period photo or something as opposed to speculation or an I said so. On this other forum, it seems as if I'm expected to just zip it and conform. Again, please don't take offense by my question, but I have not seen or heard anything even remotely close to rock solid proof. To me, it is most likely WW2 considering the circumstances, AAANNNDDDD, it looks like later than WW2 manufacture.

As most collectors of USN squadron patches from the WW2-KW era will tell you, the squadron lineages and insignia are not as well documented nor as easily traced as some of the other branches of service. More often than not, the supporting evidence helps to positively ID a USN squadron insignia from this period. The seller states the patch came from her father's footlocker and that her father was a pilot for the squadron from 1943-45. VB-18 was established on 20 July 1943 according to "the Dictionary of American Naval Aviation Squadrons - Vol.1". The same book states that the squadron's first insignia was approved in 1944 and was the same basic design with the exception of being on a white background and the letters "The Sunday Punchers" in lieu of "Bombing Eighteen". So, based on this evidence, it is likely from the 1943-44 time period. BTW- This isn't as rare as it's being pumped up to be though. Seriously, It's at least the sixth one that I've seen for sale in as many years. That being said, would everyone kindly stop promoting the bidding frenzy on this as some of us still need one for their collection...Hint Hint. LOL jeffro

As most collectors of USN squadron patches from the WW2-KW era will tell you, the squadron lineages and insignia are not as well documented nor as easily traced as some of the other branches of service. More often than not, the supporting evidence helps to positively ID a USN squadron insignia from this period. The seller states the patch came from her father's footlocker and that her father was a pilot for the squadron from 1943-45. VB-18 was established on 20 July 1943 according to "the Dictionary of American Naval Aviation Squadrons - Vol.1". The same book states that the squadron's first insignia was approved in 1944 and was the same basic design with the exception of being on a white background and the letters "The Sunday Punchers" in lieu of "Bombing Eighteen". So, based on this evidence, it is likely from the 1943-44 time period. BTW- This isn't as rare as it's being pumped up to be though. Seriously, It's at least the sixth one that I've seen for sale in as many years. That being said, would everyone kindly stop promoting the bidding frenzy on this as some of us still need one for their collection...Hint Hint. LOL jeffro

Likely, I agree here and there, this has been covered many times. But it could also have been made after the war for many reasons. And I'm actually entertaining the thought that it might not be such a big deal. Maybe a squadron member had them made in 1950 or even 1960 and sent them to his buddies because they were never issued one. Until I see a photo of a guy wearing one, I will never know.