WWII, UDT-4

digi-shots

attachicon.gifCCF11212010_00058-2.jpg

It was really neat to discover this forum. My Grandfather served in UDT-4 during WW-II and he is in some of the above pictures. His name was Frank Zajac. Here is one of his pictures from WW-II, Grandpa Frank is on the left. I don;'t know the other two guys in the picture, if anyone could identify them I would appreciate it.

Paul, glad you found this forum and pics of UDT-4!

The gentleman in the middle is Mr. Wood... and on the right is "Swede" (not sure of his name but this is what he was called).

According to Tom Hannigan, your grandfather was given the nickname of "Primo". I'll have to go thru the photos he gave me, I think there may be more pics of your grandfather. I'll pull them out and post them. If you scroll back up thru the pics I posted, you'll see your grandfather in a few of them - his name noted as "Primo".

P.S. I knew a Paul Zajac in south Florida quite a few years back.... any relation?

• 4 months later...

Digi-shots

Sorry it took me a while to get back. Thanks for the info. I think I remember Swede in some of my Grandfather's stories. He had a scrap-book from the war and it contained this type-written note. Knowing that he was "Primo" gives me some more clues.

thanks for sharing.

paul

• 7 months later...

My Uncle Bill was in UDT-4, Owens, W.H.

He did have some tales to tell, including some about a sign, and about running from a torpedo in a metal boat until it (the torpedo) ran out of gas... something about torpedo shot from shore hitting a wave where it was upended, I think, and returned towards shore. He didn't laugh about that one very much. A fellow next to him catching a slug the size of his fist while they were underwater.

post-161847-0-70727800-1454303318.jpg

post-161847-0-23799600-1454303709.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
GrandsonofGunner

I'm the grandson of Henry Gunner Green and would like to talk to others about team 4. He was wounded at some point and recieved the purple heart. No records of that yet but hopeful I'll get some.

The photo posted on this part of the site with the sign left at Guam Henry is the one on the left holding the sign. I especially like the photo about a report that he finally wrote home for the second time in 5 years. It was most likely to his brother Lawrence who was a marine stationed at Maui they were very close. Unfortunately they are both gone now as well as my mother so finding stuff for my book about him has been an ordeal. If you can help me out please do. I also have around 100 photo's of him and his friends. If it helps my email address is [email protected].