My new ETO Officers jacket to the collection

R Michael

R Michael

Just got this in the mail. It was an ebay pickup from last week. This is my second Officers ETO jacket and everything is spot on except the buttons are a different color and no label anywhere. As you can see it has a nice felt 9th AAAF SSI on left sleeve. There are no ghosts where brass may have been and no name but since these are uncommon it does not bother me. Now all I have to do is find the two EM versions. Anyway thought I would post and share.

Mike

post-1387-0-94807500-1367380067.jpg

post-1387-0-59701000-1367380077.jpg

post-1387-0-23231100-1367380092.jpg

post-1387-0-31359200-1367380104.jpg

Very nice find Mike...a "double whammy"...the British-made jacket and the British-made patch! (Don't worry about the buttons...they're fine!) ;)

AAF_Collection

Hi Mike,

Very nice! I was watching that one as well,the only reason I dodn't bid was the lack of a name as I enjoy the research as much as the item!. The EM's version's do turn up,I have the 1st Pattern,still looking for a nice untouched(and named) AAF 2nd Pat.

I second what Ian said about the buttons,just a different maker or production run would be my guess. As for the absence of collar brass,there was something of a trend amoung AAF Officers in the ETO to wear no brass on their Ike/ETO jackets,looking at wartime photos this appears to have been down to personal choice as in some group shots there will often be one or two without brass while the rest are wearing it.

Matt.

R Michael

Thanks guys for the good words. I was looking thru my photo collection and I have a nice photo of a Lt. and a Cpt. wearing these. One has brass and one does not. There was a flight suit that was found with the jacket but the seller wanted way to much for it so I passed. IT too was un-named.

Mike

Examples of ETOs being worn by two senior AAF officers...General Doolittle and another I don't recognize!

post-8022-0-71821000-1367412421.jpg

post-8022-0-80708700-1367412429.jpg

...and the ultimate ETO! Ike's version has pocket flaps, like the first pattern EM's ETO jacket.

post-8022-0-68753900-1367412534.jpg

R Michael

Interesting to note Ian the first 2 star's button spacing. A bit wider than either of my two. Another maker variation. I know you referenced that article about production numbers but I wonder how many different makers there were.

Mike

Interesting to note Ian the first 2 star's button spacing. A bit wider than either of my two. Another maker variation. I know you referenced that article about production numbers but I wonder how many different makers there were.

Mike

Note also the slightly rounded collar points. As a G.O. he quite likely had it privately tailored rather than off-the-rack, hence the subtle differences.

For the benefit and interest of the forum members, here's the officers' ETO spec label from my example.

post-8022-0-01440600-1367417001.jpg

Cobrahistorian

Examples of ETOs being worn by two senior AAF officers...General Doolittle and another I don't recognize!

That might be Uzal Ent. Trying to find a better pic of him to confirm.