question on USAAf ike jacket

usaaf93

Hello

Is it possible for an ike jacket to have an army air force felt patch on left shoulder and pilot wings with the blue felt patch on the back ?

How could he be a pilot and not have 8th or 9 th air force patch on one shoulder ?

thanks for your help ?

AAF_Collection

Hi,

Yes it's entirely possible,not all members of a numbered air force chose to wear the numbered patch,many wore only the AAF patch. The blue felt wing backing certainly suggests he was with the 8th or 9th.

Matt.

AAF_Collection

Hi,

No the AAF patch could be worn by any member of the AAF,regardless of which Air Force they were assigned to. If you have a look at some of the AAF Bomb and Fighter Group websites many have photo galleries which are interesting to study for uniform details.

Matt.

Optional patches? if you don't like the one for the unit you are in you can wear an other one? The reason you see galleries of photo with different patches is simply because they are old pictures supplied by the person because he did not have a new picture or thought he looked better in an old one.

AAF_Collection

Optional patches? if you don't like the one for the unit you are in you can wear an other one? The reason you see galleries of photo with different patches is simply because they are old pictures supplied by the person because he did not have a new picture or thought he looked better in an old one.

Not exactly,but as I've said any member of a numbered Air Force,whether Stateside or overseas,could wear the SSI of either the numbered Air Force to which they were assigned or the basic AAF SSI.

The photos I refer to are of men in the ETO taken during their combat tours,some examples below from the 381st Bomb Group,Eighth Air Force(Ridgewell,Essex,England) and many more at this link http://www.381st.org...pleGallery-1031

AAA2.jpg

AAA1.jpg

AAA3.jpg

ok thanks.

So to sum up airmen had the choice to put either the numbered patch on the left shoulder alone or the AAF alone in the left shoulder or the AAF on the left shoulder and the numbered one on the right shoulder at the same time?

AAF_Collection

Well,that depends which point in his service he was at.

While serving with a numbered air force he could wear either the AAF patch alone or the patch of the numbered air force alone on his left shoulder.

On his right shoulder he could only wear the patch of his previous combat unit,so for example it's not unusual to see a coat or jacket with the AAF patch on the left shoulder and a numbered combat air force on the right,or a combination of numbered air force patches,for instance someone who saw action with the 5th Air Force in the Pacific and who later served in the ETO with the 8th Air Force could wear the 5th patch on his right and the 8th patch on his left.

Can you post pictures of the Ike jacket in question?.

Matt.

AAF_Collection

I see nothing obviously wrong,it looks like a nice jacket. If it's named there's a good chance you can research the original owner.

Matt.

Well,that depends which point in his service he was at.

While serving with a numbered air force he could wear either the AAF patch alone or the patch of the numbered air force alone on his left shoulder.

On his right shoulder he could only wear the patch of his previous combat unit,so for example it's not unusual to see a coat or jacket with the AAF patch on the left shoulder and a numbered combat air force on the right,or a combination of numbered air force patches,for instance someone who saw action with the 5th Air Force in the Pacific and who later served in the ETO with the 8th Air Force could wear the 5th patch on his right and the 8th patch on his left.

Can you post pictures of the Ike jacket in question?.

Matt.

"Combat" has nothing to do with it. In WW2, the only criteria was that the former unit was overseas- anywhere designated as overseas outside of the American Theater of Operations. It was not until after WW2 that the right arm SSI was for a unit in a designated hostile area or combat zone, but actual combat was and is still not necessary. A soldier in any type of unit only has to be present in the area.

Notice 4 pockets still being used in 1946 with a few Ikes sprinkled in. Also most are wearing black ties. Interesting photos

AAF_Collection

Hi Paul,

Good eye,I hadn't noticed the black ties. Regarding the date of the photos,the data at the top with the 1946 date refers to when the photo was received by the 325th Photo Wing,the dates they were taken are all prior to June 1945,for example the top picture is dated 18th December 1943.

atb,my mistake,to be more accurate I should have said overseas rather than combat.

Matt..

What's not to like? From this angle it looks like a nice privately tailored AAF officer's Ike. However, I would like to see closer shots of the patches and wings etc., before endorsing it completely. The absence of a name is not necessarily a big issue IMHO.

Ok. I don't own it yet so I can't make pictures at the moment. What do you think about the patches ? it is usually the numbered one on the right side and the AAF on the left side.

I've seen similar combinations in the past so it's not without precedence. Suggests he served with an HQ unit before transferring to the 9th.

AAF_Collection

I second what Ian says. Hard to say for sure from the pics,but the 9th patch looks like it's British Made.

Matt.