Unique 5th Armored Division WWII History

captaxe

Had this on the shelf for a while and I thought it was worth sharing.

"Voo Doo" was the code name for the 81st Tank Battalion of the 5th Armored Division; Dog denotes D Company. This is an uncatalogued history of D Company. It is about 40 pp. and has some great detail in it. What is unusual about it (outside of it's rarity) is the fact that it is illustrated with actual photos (not printed photos, as in most books) of each tank crew of the different platoons of the Company, and lists each crew member by name.

Someone went to a lot of trouble to print, cut and glue the crew photos into the history; I can't imagine there are too many of these out there. I have two other histories (one a unit history of a 100th Division Artillery battalion and another a history of a Fall 1944 battle fought by the 2nd Armored Division) that are also illustrated with actual photos, but I love this one because it shows the individual tankers just after the close of the war.

post-701-1347427101.jpg

post-701-1347427135.jpg

Tommymonkey192

What a rare treasure. Not only is it a company level unit history but it's also that of a Stuart tank company! I'm envious! In a WWII tank battalion D Company was the light tank company equipped with M5A1 Stuarts.

I am "emotions-proof" when it comes to the AFVs, but this time, seeing this kind of historical material, I have to say -- The Revelation! :thumbsup:

I like the Stuarts very much.