• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Gary Cain

Gary Cain
  • Members
    • Member ID: 96
  • 1,651 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 10:51 AM

I picked this up a few weeks ago and just got around to photographing it. It is an unusual one for sure!

Attached Images

• MVC_054F.JPG

#2 Gary Cain

Gary Cain
  • Members
  • 1,651 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 10:51 AM

I picked this up a few weeks ago and just got around to photographing it. It is an unusual one for sure!

Attached Images

• MVC_055F.JPG

#3 Brian Keith

Brian Keith
  • Members
    • Member ID: 1,549
  • 3,591 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 11:48 AM

Nice. It is interesting that the man is an Aviation Cadet, I wonder if he "washed out" of flight school and then went to gliders. I don't think Aviation Cadet graduates normally went into gliders.
BKW

#4 DMD

DMD
  • Members
    • Member ID: 311
  • 514 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 12:45 PM

Nice. It is interesting that the man is an Aviation Cadet, I wonder if he "washed out" of flight school and then went to gliders. I don't think Aviation Cadet graduates normally went into gliders.
BKW

Maybe the man's name started with a G, so the glider wings sorta personalized the sweetheart pin.

Dennis

#5 Allan H.

Allan H.
  • Members
    • Member ID: 151
  • 5,579 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 02:47 AM

BKW

Brian,
It kind of depends on when the cadet was going through training as to whether he ended up in an aircraft with or without motors. I would heartily recommend Gerald Devlin's "Silent Wings" for an exceptional history of the glider in US military history.

Gary,
That is one COOL sweetheart piece. I think it is fantastic!
Allan

#6 Brian Keith

Brian Keith
  • Members
    • Member ID: 1,549
  • 3,591 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 04:52 AM

Allan, Yes, Devlin's book is good, but I haven't read it for a long time, thus my fuzzy memory about how Glider Pilots were trained. We have a uniform and things from a D-Day Vet Glider Pilot, with the typical D-Day story. His aircraft was carrying a 75mm gun that broke loose during the controlled crash landing gliders were famous for. More or less woke up in a field hospital that he recalls changed hands between the Germans and Americans a couple of times. He stayed in the military with the reserves and the uniform we have is his retirement uniform, unfortunately it has “normal” pilot wings on it. He flew cargo into Berlin during the “Crisis”.
BKW

#7 Gary Cain

Gary Cain
  • Members
  • 1,651 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 10:21 AM

Hi Allan,

Devlins book is fantastic and thanks for the complement on the sweetheart! I agree it's pretty cool!

Gary

Brian,
It kind of depends on when the cadet was going through training as to whether he ended up in an aircraft with or without motors. I would heartily recommend Gerald Devlin's "Silent Wings" for an exceptional history of the glider in US military history.

Gary,
That is one COOL sweetheart piece. I think it is fantastic!
Allan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users