Aerial photos of Iwo Jima landing

Vincennes

At the flea market today I bought a set of 13 different negatives showing aerial shots of the landing on Iwo Jima during WW2. They appear to be copy negatives of aerial photographs. They range in size from 2.25x2.25" up to 3.75x4.75". All are in individual envelopes like the one shown here.

I have scanned this negative on my scanner and used the "Negative" button to convert it to a positive print. This makes a poor copy since my scanner was not designed to scan negatives. There is much more detail on the original negative than shown on this image. You can even see individual soldiers on the original negative. But even on this image you can see tanks moving inland from the shore and landing craft. I'll have to get prints made of these negative to see their true quality.

There is no identification except what is on the envelopes, so I do not know where these came from. The dealer who sold them to me knew nothing about them. Any ideas?

An interesting find.

Paul

post-2319-1297547324.jpg

OK I found a way to scan a negative on my scanner. It will not cover the entire negative, so I had to crop this image. I also discovered that I reversed the earlier "print". Now I can see the number "43" on the landing craft, so I know this one is OK.

This scan is a lot better.

Paul

post-2319-1297556581.jpg

Somewhere, at some point during the landing...my great uncle workin' in the tank...

Great finds, puts his experience into a powerful perspective, seeing actual photos of the landing.

Here is another scan. This is part of the largest negative (3.75x4.75"). My scanner will only scan a 2" square, so quite a bit of the negative is not covered.

Paul

post-2319-1297630446.jpg

Wow. Those are amazing Negatives you have got there

a great piece of History you have there well done :thumbsup:

and thanks for sharing them truely amazing to see..

Nice find, the markings on the envelope are the photographer's exposure settings.

I would think they are official photos, but normally the MC ones are marked.

OK, One more picture. I wish I could scan the entire negative, rather than just a 2" square, but that's all my scanner will convert. I'll have to get prints made professionally.

Paul

post-2319-1297642909.jpg

Paul,

Thats a great picture the last one of the Landing Craft & Vehicles on the Beach Head amazing for sure

Keep them coming they are truely amazing picture's to see,, great stuff :thumbsup: . :thumbsup: . I love looking at them

THANKS FOR SHARING THEM with us a true piece of American History !

Regards

Tomás.