Early Vietnam Poncho Liner?

Justin

craig_pickrall

Justin, I don't have the time to do the research right now but I don't think these were that early. I don't think the lightweight poncho with liner came into use until after the big troop build up in 1965. Prior to that they were using the older model heavy rubberized poncho from the early 60's. I'm guessing these may have shown up in 66 and then probably 68 or so for the ERDL pattern liner. I have seen them also with a duck hunter pattern. I always regreted not getting one of those when I could.

I can't pin this down but I think the pattern you have is actually a private purchase item sold in surplus stores. This would have been post Vietnam but I just can't recall for sure. You may have a VERY NICE item there or maybe not.

Justin, I don't have the time to do the research right now but I don't think these were that early. I don't think the lightweight poncho with liner came into use until after the big troop build up in 1965. Prior to that they were using the older model heavy rubberized poncho from the early 60's. I'm guessing these may have shown up in 66 and then probably 68 or so for the ERDL pattern liner. I have seen them also with a duck hunter pattern. I always regreted not getting one of those when I could.

I can't pin this down but I think the pattern you have is actually a private purchase item sold in surplus stores. This would have been post Vietnam but I just can't recall for sure. You may have a VERY NICE item there or maybe not.

The reason I said I thought it was 63 - 64 era is because I've read there were some made that early here on the forum. Adviser issue perhaps?

The reason I said I thought it was 63 - 64 era is because I've read there were some made that early here on the forum. Adviser issue perhaps?

7th SFG was issued them in 1963.

439th Signal Battalion
7th SFG was issued them in 1963.

That is an early piece for Vietnam, mainly for SF personnel and some of the first ARVN advisors. I had one years ago dated '64 that I purchased from an SF vet, probably 7th Group, that was there in the early days.

From what I understand, they are fairly rare these days too.

Ive got one of these spot camo liners dated 1962, which is the earliest date Ive seen.

Some people say the plain OD poncho liners, which are usually undated are expiremental and earlier than the spot camo ones but Ive seen OD liners with DSA 1-6998 or similar numbers. Which would be from 1965. Some of the OD liners dont even have rounded corners along with not being dated (just has a tag with instructions). Seems likely to me that due to a big shortage of liners in VN during that time, there was a rushed production of simple OD liners just to get liners into the hands of soldiers over there. The spot camo ones seem to of been around from just about the start of development of these so I think there are too many of the OD liners around to all be expiremental. ERDL liners come out in 1966.

Ive got one of these spot camo liners dated 1962, which is the earliest date Ive seen.

Some people say the plain OD poncho liners, which are usually undated are expiremental and earlier than the spot camo ones but Ive seen OD liners with DSA 1-6998 or similar numbers. Which would be from 1965. Some of the OD liners dont even have rounded corners along with not being dated (just has a tag with instructions). Seems likely to me that due to a big shortage of liners in VN during that time, there was a rushed production of simple OD liners just to get liners into the hands of soldiers over there. The spot camo ones seem to of been around from just about the start of development of these so I think there are too many of the OD liners around to all be expiremental. ERDL liners come out in 1966.

I have an OD Green one too, I got it for $1.47 on ebay 2 years ago.

Thanks for the info.

So Justin....is the first camo liner yours and how did you acquire it, is it one of those mislisted type items that you scored for peanuts or did you have to pay big?....please tell us the story!!!.....mike :thumbsup:

• 8 months later...
combat-helmets

So would these type of poncho rigs (with liner) be what marines would have used, or the heavy nylon Army type?

Have a hole In my early USMC Vietnam collection, and need to acquire one.

Can someone please steer me in the right direction?

So would these type of poncho rigs (with liner) be what marines would have used, or the heavy nylon Army type?

I've never seen a Marine with one

I've never seen a Marine with one

• 3 years later...
phantomfixer

To resurrect a thread on poncho liners.. I picked this up yesterday for a very nice price...If I am reading the thread correctly..it was made around 65? it is straight OD...

post-155518-0-77231700-1438785863.jpg