Pinback Span-Am USMC Officer's Star Vent EGA

usmcaviator

We have all seen the prong backed or loop backed nickled version worn on the P1876 shako shield, and on the banjo board epaulettes of the 1890's, but pinback versions, both enlisted and officer were made for use on the light-weight star vent campaign hat worn in Cuba, PI, Panama and tropical climates. This is a rare officer version.

s/f,

Maj Manifor

post-376-1204753033.jpg

As you can see, there is absolutely no evidence of prong or loop attachments. It was made with the pin back and in my opinion for the star vent hat.
(BROKEN LINK REMOVED)

teufelhunde.ret

I recognize the hook closure w/ others of the pre-1900 period... never on this emblem. Mike are there other examples in your collection?

Here is a screw back version that is similar. I let this emblem slide by on eBay several years ago, because, quite frankly, I had no idea what it was exactly. It doesn't look like the anchor ever received the gold finish, so I was leery. I'm not sure if that is a solder mark in the anchor stock, where a prong could have been attached at one time. Anyone care to elaborate on this gold continents only version?

s/f, Gary

post-84-1189384001.jpg

post-84-1189384042.jpg

I have an enlisted version...not much wash left, with a different pinback construction. The catch broke off, I have it in a box but it was a standard brass half loop.

Mike
(BROKEN LINK REMOVED)

teufelhunde.ret

That is a interesting version... those whom view this should take not in the reverse and the interior of this die stamp... very smooth and continuous, as associated w/ emblems of this period.

Gary,

That one I would have to see in person, the EGA looks OK, a variation for sure with the light-weight construction but with post for the P1904 hat. I am not sure on the brightness of the gold, it almost appears scratched as well just on the surface of the continents, perhaps a home attempt at gold plating? Anybody claim this one?

Mike