1892 USMC Enlisted Spiked Helmet EGA

usmcaviator

I posted some shots of the Officer version on another thread. This is the enlisted model. I have had about 6 of these over the years and this is the finest one I have owned. Again note the fine detailing to the eagle's feathers, the cut-out beak, the gap between the fluke and globe, and the two pins that help hold the wings to the cork helmet. This is a single brass piece that has been washed or flashed gold. This retains about 90% of its wash. Generally the darker they are, the less wash they have. Variations to the back and method of attachment do exist! I sold a variation almost a year ago that had prong backs with the post being cut-down. There are also versions with just prong backs. The front will always remain the same though. Beware the version that has post backs on the wing and lower anchor portion. I have yet to see any copies that can hold a candle to the originals once you know what they look like. But like Darrell said, stand by. With the prices of these climbing on the order of German stuff, it wont take long until someone tries the perfect fake. I am tired of seeing many buy the bad copies for hundreds of dollars, so enjoy the pics.

Maj Manifor

post-376-1220381207.jpg

teufelhunde.ret

I believe what is important here, for those who view these photos... the level of detail and sharpness of the strike. IT IS THE MAJOR SIGNIFICANCE. Esp note the overall detailing of the wings, heavy stempling of the globe also. Anyone contemplating the purchase of one of these birds, should look long and hard at this original. "The devil is in the details". The fakes are coming real close...

• 2 years later...
Leatherneck72

Offered here is the classic 1892 helmet device that went on the USMC / Marine Corps spiked dress helmet during the Victorian era. This device is missing from most collections, and is extremely had to find. This example retains nearly all of it's gold fire gilt and even has the little prongs on the back of the wings to keep it from sliding around. The screw post is missing but could be replaced with little effort. $550 OBO to the first PM takes it. PayPal preferred.

post-1737-1275965740.jpg

usmcaviator

Times must be tough, and money tight, when this piece sits at $450.. better off sittin back in your collection bro. There has only been a handful of real ones to make it to the market in the past few years.