1930 Enlisted gilt "gooney"

USMCRECON

I've been looking for a pair of these since the pair in my early 30s dated uniform seem to be repors and have brrn watching these for several days - they close this evening. I plan on bidding on them but thought I'd seek an opinion from the EGA experts before doing so.

post-1107-1187810610.jpg

post-1107-1187810617.jpg

teufelhunde.ret

Bill, they are the real deal. Consistent wear and color, appear to be the "issue" type. I have been watching, the pair is nice, however, I do not feel the current bid price is justified. Appears to be a few folks intent on getting them irrespective of cost crying.gif s/f Darrell

How often does a nice looking matched pair like this come along? I am starting to believe that really for interwar EGA's you have to be willing to have deep pockets or extreme patience to get something just right. When you look at how small the Marine Corps was during those years, you realize that there is not actually a lot of these floating around compared to a many other types of militaria, and USMC emblems have become, overall, perhaps the single most desirable type of military insignia. It seems like every retired Marine I meet in Oceanside collects EGA's. I know I kick myself for selling some EGA's I found before I too decided to collect them, especially that one which was in the "ad" for the EGA reference section on the forum's home page.

Nice to know I wasn't the only one watching these. I have the strange suspicion these are off a uniform I bought awhile back from who, I think was, the same seller. Good guy...good stuff overall. I must say though, with the price that EGAs are commanding, complete, original uniforms are biting the dust by the dozens as the EGAs are pulled off and sold separately.

Ken

Thanks Darrell. I want to get a pair to replace the ones that I'm pretty sure are replicas on the blouse but certainly don't want them so bad that I'm willing to pay well over market value for them. What would be a good and reasonable selling price?

I was wondering if I was the only one thinking this. There are more and more of these hard to find ball and birdies showing up these days (due to inflated prices in my opinion ) and I also have had a suspicion that some uniforms are getting stripped (or stolen off them) because of it.

Inevitable when the insignia is worth several times that of the uniform I guess.

CB

Well, with the price this pair is commanding, I'm out of the running on these. Just to put them back on the uniform I was willing to go $40 over a reasonable price. With the sale of these, I guess "reasonable" went right out the door. I purchased an exact pair like these last year for $100 which, I was told then, was probably too high. I am not shocked by many selling prices, but this one sent me for a loop. $510.00 ...Unbelievable.

teufelhunde.ret

Hey Bob... well after seeing your comment / reply yesterday... I decided to await the outcome of the auction and as I expected they went out the door at a ridiculous price. Yes they were a very desirable set, matched... consistent features, design, wear, continents not worn down by repeated polishing and on and on. BUT, way over the top for a matching issue / non-hallmarked set that undoubtedly began life together. I agree with your premise wholeheartedly, the EGA's of the first half of the last century may in fact become some of the most desirable and in demand insignia. However, I do not subscribe to the theory that we have reached that plateau... yet

Its only my opinion, this will only serve to set a artificial ceiling as to the relative worth of gooney's in general and push the price of the more obscure, desirable and or hallmark varieties into the range that the typical EGA collector will not pay. On the up side, it may bring to the market/auction place some the the emblems that many of us have been waiting on to match a single in our collection

Nonetheless, everyone should note, the price set last night is artificial. And if folks start to pour money into EGA's at this ceiling or range of inflated price... they are going to be very sadly disappointed at some point in the future.

Nonetheless, everyone should note, the price set last night is artificial. And if folks start to pour money into EGA's at this ceiling or range of inflated price... they are going to be very sadly disappointed pinch.gif at some point in the future.

Thanks for your comment here as well. I am hoping this sort of pricing does not become the standard. I am still looking for two pairs of pre-goonie EGAs (one for greens, one for blues) but if last night's auction is a "sign of the times" it will be a long wait, particularly since my youngest daughter is getting married on Oct and it seem everyone involved even remotely in the wedding industry in Northern Virginia has their hand in my pocket. crying.gif

teufelhunde.ret

Bill, sounds like you have the patience to wait this out and get those sets at a reasonable price. I'm sure your persistence will be rewarded thumbsup.gif