WW1 Uniforms ---> DESTROYED

Got da Penny

Got da Penny

This is what i did for "Fun" tonight.

I am in the "process" of CLEANING out a VERY LARGE Collection of WW1 Uniforms. * To be SOLD Online * at a later date.

((( Your eyes will "Hurt" trust me )))).

The Good part is ................. Salvaging the Patches and Uniform Insignia.

post-633-1286246603.jpg

The Bad part is ................. History was Destroyed.

post-633-1286246618.jpg

Got da Penny

This is from a 50 year PLUS collection.

But the Patches and Collar Disc's etc are VERY Impressive.

None of the items will be "mixed" .... They are being sold as Salvaged from the uniform.

Preserving History ............. well, sorta. ;)

Carey

It' really sad Carey, but there's nothing else you could have done.

Think about the other possibility, someone could have just taken them to a dumpster.

What you salvaged is Saving History.

Well, there is a market for the buttons, neck closure clips, anything that isn't eaten can be used by someone. Sucks, but are doing a good thing.

Well, there is a market for the buttons, neck closure clips, anything that isn't eaten can be used by someone. Sucks, but are doing a good thing.

Hawk's dead-on with this comment. Thanks for saving what you can - lots of us will be glad to get what's possible, since some other person didn't take good care of the collection.

Steve

If there is any left, you can even try to save some fabric in good condition to repair holes and tears in other uniforms.

Greetz ;)

David

If there is any left, you can even try to save some fabric in good condition to repair holes and tears in other uniforms.

Greetz ;)

David

Uff da! How in the world did this happen? This didn't come from a large private collection near Cincinnati, did it?

earlymb is correct though, there is use for any good material. I like to use matching material to put behind the patches that I have in Riker cases. For example if there are any pieces large enough, they could make good backing for a WWI patch display.

One word of caution, be sure you don't take any "little friends" home with you to your collection!

Corpsmancollector

Jeez Carey, what a job! Looks like dirty work. To echo everyone's comments, you're doing a great thing by saving what history you can.

I completely agree with Steve about salvaging anything you can. Buttons and fittings, material etc. There will always be people who need them. As for the patches, are you cutting them off and leaving them on the material or un-stitching them?

Got da Penny

More info, These were kept in a storage shed outside and forgotten about. The owner has Sooooo Much more "War stuff" that these uniforms were an after thought.

They have been hanging so long that you could "Shake" the inches of Dust off each uniform

No, they are not in the Cinci area.

I will have to look to see about the disc on the 3rd.

and the little critters, if any, are sealed up in a plastic bag.

Great Idea about the extra cloth.

((( So, you guys are telling me i need to "save" the collar hooks too ?? )))

post-633-1286273348.jpg

post-633-1286273354.jpg

Not to add to your workload, but you may want to try and save a couple of breast pockets too. They make an excellent background when displaying medals.

I HATE moths! Why God has taken the trouble to create them?

Save the savable and restore another ''empty'' ww1 jacket with those beautiful patch and badges

GS

Brian Dentino

Wow, what a shame. :crying: I guess that would send up a red flag with lots of historians/collectors to say to themselves: Gee, I guess I have got too much "stuff"! Glad you are able to save some of the patches and parts of these jackets though. Looks like very dirty work, but I am sure that it will be worth it in the long run being able to salvage at least parts of these historical items. Your doing a good thing! :thumbsup:

Corpsmancollector

I would personally save as much material as I could. Obviously, this depends on the condition and whether it's worth saving. I know it might be a time consuming job; checking all the jackets for pieces of 'usable' material etc. and cutting patches out, but it will definitely be worth it. Remember, waste not, want not! (that's the right one ain't it? :lol:)

I see this all the time.

It's a strange mindset... someone has too much in their collection, but rather than sell it to someone who can take care of it, they store it in sub-par conditions. So, they'd rather see it rot away than be owned by someone else.

Man, I'd have to imagine that if I had so much stuff that I could afford to let a large lot of complete, original, patched WW1 uniforms be devoured by moths, then I probably had too much stuff!

Good luck with the salvage. It looks like some of the patches are in good condition, so there's some stuff definitely worth saving. It might even be worth keeping one uniform complete to show people what happens when you store items poorly. It can help save other uniforms in the future from being exposed to the same storage conditions.

WOW - that's just wrong on so many levels!

Have you thought about leaving the uniforms as they are and offering them for sale, rather than just offering the insignia? I don't know if it would be better or worse as far as value, but it might just quell the one or two "well, you should have just left them" comments.

I hope you're wearing plastic gloves! No telling what's in these uniforms...

Dave

Got da Penny

Thanks for all of the "positive" comments... Yes, its a labor of love, but, also preservation at this point.

I first made comment over a year ago, Gently asking the owner to "Sell" these off BEFORE they "are too far gone".

Last week I asked if he had any uniforms for me to sell ?? ..................... Well, as you can see, this is what he produced.

DAVE ---- I am sure there are more "complete" uniforms in storage. We look a uniform over and determine if it is "Worth" selling in the condition its in.

Meaning, Would it "Display Well" or would i own it, and could I live with the "Flaws" ??

We BOTH decide the outcome with PROS & CONS.

So far, this is the starting point where i am at.

Carey