Star on WW2 Victory Medal

grunt16

I'm sorry if this has been asked and answered 10,000 times. I tried a search but did not find anything. Does anyone know why some WW2 vets have a campaign star on their WW2 victory ribbon? I thought perhaps it was because they were in WW1 as well but in the two examples I have the guys were not around for the Great War. I would be grateful for any help.

Andy

BigJohn#3RD

Hi Andy,

I have seen these stars on quite a few Pacific Vets Ribbon bars and my SWAG (Scientific Wild rump Guess) is that the star represents being in the service for both VE Day and VJ Day. Again my SWAG on it after pondering it for some time :think:

Regards

John

Andy,

Lots of vets did different things for different reasons.

Some one may have made an honest mistake and confused the ribbon with another one.

Others liked to add a device for some other reason, maybe just to impress the girls.

Maybe some kids played with the ribbons at some point.

I'm sure there is no deception going on, it wouldn't make sense.

Brian Dentino

I agree with JS on his opinions. Seems that most of our citizen soldiers added items that suited their tastes and looked good. A sort of WWII servicemans "bling" if you will on the uniform. This seemed to have happened lots with the Army....and not as much with the Marine/Navy as their regs were enforced a bit tighter. I have also seen lots and lots of ribbon racks/combos that are really out of order, but I dont think that on this these guys cared one way or another.....but they would throw the new bars on the jackets again for that added pow in the looks. Stars on anything make them look more impressive, at least to the unknowing.

Thanks guys! I just did not know if there was a regulation or not. Glad to have an answer to that one.

Andy

collectsmedals

It was not regulation, but I have seen a lot of absolutely genuine uniforms with a star on the victory medal ribbon.