Korean War 187th A/B RCT Ike

Retired

I have had this jacket for probably 20 to 25 years and it has been packed away. Since there has been some renewed interests in Korean War uniforms, I dug it out and photographed it. It has a laundry mark of L-8450. The spec tag in the pocket says: Pattern Date 5-24-46; Philadelphia Uniform Co., Inc.; Cont. No. W30-280, dated Feb. 9, 1949 and Spec. P.Q.D. 8-162. Can anybody assist me in identifying the trooper using the laundry mark?

Here is the front of the jacket.

post-264-1260828522.jpg

I have had this jacket for probably 20 to 25 years and it has been packed away. Since there has been some renewed interests in Korean War uniforms, I dug it out and photographed it. It has a laundry mark of L-8450. The spec tag in the pocket says: Pattern Date 5-24-46; Philadelphia Uniform Co., Inc.; Cont. No. W30-280, dated Feb. 9, 1949 and Spec. P.Q.D. 8-162. Can anybody assist me in identifying the trooper using the laundry mark?

Here is the front of the jacket.

Here is a closeup of the insignia on the left side.

post-264-1260828634.jpg

Interesting, no good conduct medal or occupation medal.

-Ski

While I was at it, I decided to show my other 187th uniform. This one belonged to CPT Frederick Wilhelm Johnson, of Coffeyville, KS. He jumped into Sicily with Co. B, 505th PIR, 82nd A/B. He also served in Italy, was wounded and saw no more WWII action. He was recalled to active duty on 12 Nov. 1950, serving with the 187th A/B RCT. He was discharged on 27 April 1952.

post-264-1260837133.jpg

While I was at it, I decided to show my other 187th uniform. This one belonged to CPT Frederick Wilhelm Johnson, of Coffeyville, KS. He jumped into Sicily with Co. B, 505th PIR, 82nd A/B. He also served in Italy, was wounded and saw no more WWII action. He was recalled to active duty on 12 Nov. 1950, serving with the 187th A/B RCT. He was discharged on 27 April 1952.

Here is a closeup of the left side insignia.

post-264-1260837282.jpg

marineamtracer

Personally I have always loved the 50's Airborne items. They were not only more in my collecting price range lol but also too often overlooked. I've got some great 11th AB and 187th Uniforms that to me are awesome. Hopefully one day these guys will get the kind of respect that the WWII airborne guys are getting now.

Colin

Captainofthe7th

Really nice uniforms here...legit 187th jackets are tough to find.

Have you check the hallmarks on the insignia on the first one? Just to make sure everything is sterling, etc. I think the orange and blue oval was used up until 1953, the same year the national defense medal came out. Now that I think about it, I don't recall ever seeing the NDSM on a 187th Ike. I will have to go through the KW uniform thread and see what turns up. This was probably a very very narrow window of time where both the orange/blue oval and NDSM were around at the same time...I think only a matter of a few months.

The two 187th uniforms that I have came without ribbons, wings, etc., and I restored them using the pin holes already present. They also lack overseas bars (seems to be a trait among KW uniforms). One also has the small style stripes like the Sgt chevrons on the first uniform.

Feel free to PM me or email me if you want to talk one on one. I focus on KW uniforms and I'd love to help with any more questions you have or show off my own two Rakkasans.

Rob

CNY Militaria

Very nice jackets! Perhaps you should start a 187th focused thread. I only have one item to add, but I would enjoy seeing other items from that unit!

Great uniforms,

I will be posting my RAKKASAN collection here soon.

MSG Leigh E Smith Jr

US Army (retired) 84/05

3/187th Inf. RAKKSANS (84/86)