D-Day KIA Purple Heart question

Robbo

I have an opportunity to obtain this 29th Inf Div Purple Heart. The man whos name is on the medal was KIA 6th June 1944.

I was about to commit to it but thought I would run it by the forum 1st.

My query is concerning the engraving style. I first thought it was normal official large machine engraving but now I am fairly sure it is not.

Can anyone help me out here?

Many thanks.

Rob

post-4976-1253464711.jpg

I am far from an expert but I do not like this engraving. It does not conform to the official engraving patterns that I am familiar with for awarded KIA Purple Hearts. I would walk away from this.

We are fortunate to have some real experts on this forum that can weigh in with more authority than I have ......

Not only is the engraving off ( a modern typeset used at almost any trophy engraver), but it is "leaving" the engraving area as the B and S in the last name pass from inner heart to outer heart (take hints from those initials). I would leave this one alone...very alone.

Ken

Not only is the engraving off ( a modern typeset used at almost any trophy engraver), but it is "leaving" the engraving area as the B and S in the last name pass from inner heart to outer heart (take hints from those initials). I would leave this one alone...very alone.

Ken

Hi ken.

Thanks and I'm with you there. It just looks sloppy.

• 4 months later...

I think with this PH medal was Bronze Star in auction. I remember this auction on ebay.uk

Seller want from me / after ask about price/ around 400 pounds.

Expensive for me.

Is it fake for 100% ???

Error - Mistake...

Name from Ebay.UK was Robert T. Burruss

I made photo to my mobilephone from Ebay.And now i found in old file.

Check this foto and let me know..This one is Ok or Fake???

post-8933-1264269479.jpg

The medal itself may be original but not the engraving. The engraving does not conform to any official patterns that I am familiar with for WWII period KIA Purple Hearts. Of note is the incorrect font (especially notable on the S as an example) and the "dot" after the first name. We have seen other examples of this non-period engraving here on the forum. I would be uninterested regardless of the price. My thoughts only .....

100% fake engraving. Its not even privately engraved, just a complete fake. The name checks out to a genuine KIA but the engraving has been done to deceive.

Robert T burruss was int the 30ID and is buried in the Ardennes cemetery but this is NOT his medal.

For further information, check this out and look at post #19.

DUD ENGRAVING

And this.........

Same guy, same medal???

Bad times :thumbdown:

Rob