WWII Nurse's Uniform Group

Steve B.

A few weeks ago, I was contacted by a friend who is an active member of the local American Legion. I used to be a member, and put on many displays for them, but am no longer a member. Anyway, he told me they had been contacted by the nephew of a a former Army nurse who had died at age 102, and he wanted to know if anyone wanted her uniforms.

My friend contacted me, and I contacted the nephew, and was given her uniforms. I also have all of her records which I am scanning and will return when the scans are finished.

Her name was Evelyn Nace, and she was commissioned as a 1st Lieutenant ian the Army Nurse Corps in January 1942. After serving stateside for two years at several different posts, she was sent to England in early 1944, and arrived on the continent a couple of months later, probably March or April 1944. She was 40 years old when deployed to the ETO.

She was assigned to the 188th Evacuation Hospital of the US First Army. As a new unit, understrength with no experience, the 118th personnel were loaned out to other hospitals, and the 118th found itself tending to "RAMPS" (Returned Allied Military Personnel - former POWs), Displaced Persons, and victims of several concentration camps.

She returned to the US after also serving with the US Second Army (unit not yet determined), and later married a WWII vet with the last name of Canavello (I have been promised a look at his records, too). She was a world traveller, and enjoyed hunting, fishing and all outdoor activities. She did not have any children.

Anyway, here's a look at her ID card, and the uniform items I received. This has been an enjoyable and interesting research project. I hope you enjoy the photos.

post-9-1178679227.jpg

Her khaki hat. This is in pristine shape, and looks as if it was never worn. It is a light khaki color, not white as it appears in the photo.

post-9-1178679263.jpg

Her khaki uniform dress. It bears the First Army SSI on the right shoulder.

post-9-1178679289.jpg

A closer look at the left side.

post-9-1178679316.jpg

Here is the tag from the khaki dress shown above:

post-9-1178679605.jpg

Her OD hat. It has a moth hole on the edge of the brim, and two smaller holes at the top edge which can be seen in the photo.

post-9-1178679654.jpg

Here is her OD "Ike" jacket. It too has the First Army SSI on the right shoulder, and the Second Army SSI on the left..

post-9-1178679678.jpg

A closer view of the left side of the OD Ike jacket. The 1st Lt. bars appear to be sterling silver since they have turned completely black. They are the flat, non-beveled edge type of bars I normally associate more with USMC/USN uniforms. They are marked Luxenberg on the back.

The tag inside the OD Ike jacket:

Last, her overseas cap. This one has suffered the most from the moths, but only on the right (not shown) side. This cap shows the most use of the three shown.

Not sure what happend to the photos in the last post, so let's try again:

A closer view of the left side of the OD Ike jacket. The 1st Lt. bars appear to be sterling silver since they have turned completely black. They are the flat, non-beveled edge type of bars I normally associate more with USMC/USN uniforms. They are marked Luxenberg on the back. I have the skirt that goes with this jacket, but it is not shown.

post-9-1178686329.jpg

The tag inside the OD Ike jacket:

post-9-1178686354.jpg

Last, her overseas cap. This one has suffered the most from the moths, but only on the right (not shown) side. This cap shows the most use of the three shown.

post-9-1178686369.jpg