USMC Leggings 1918 Phil.Depot

New Romantic

New Romantic

As a collector of WWI leggings variations I have been trying to track down a legit pair of USMC leggings. Over the past two months I was able to snag four possible USMC leggings from eBay.

Observing period photos of Marines it seems most if not all had a seam on the inside of the leg. This would mean that the leggings were made from four pieces vs. three.

First up is a pair that has Phila Depot markings and a Marine's name stenciled in the typical USMC manner. These do not have the inner leg seam.post-599-1178041750.jpg

post-599-1178041789.jpg

New Romantic

Next up are a pair with the inner seam and web foot strap. The leggings appear to be made by Rosenwasser Bros. dated 1917 and the name of a Marine (?) stenciled below.

post-599-1178041920.jpg

post-599-1178041936.jpg

New Romantic

These pair have the inner seam and leather foot strap. The leggings were made by Des Moisne Tent and Awning Co.

post-599-1178042042.jpg

post-599-1178042069.jpg

New Romantic

This final pair have the inner seam and leather foot strap. The markings are hard to make out though I can see the date 1917.

post-599-1178042149.jpg

post-599-1178042176.jpg

Greg Robinson

I own a pair of leggings identical to your #2 pair....and they have the same name stencilling. Mine belonged to a sailor so that's also a possibility with yours since they used the same format for name markings. I also own a pair identical to your #4 pair and mine have USMC quartermaster Depot markings. I believe Marine officer's wore those....they're too fragile looking for rugged field wear.

Based on what I've seen and read your #1 pair are what the Marines wore "over there" in 1917-1918.

Greg

TrenchRaider1918

Did soldiers wear these leggings under the puttees or were they worn seperately?

New Romantic
I also own a pair identical to your #4 pair and mine have USMC quartermaster Depot markings. I believe Marine officer's wore those....they're too fragile looking for rugged field wear.

Greg

The leather strap on my #4 pair are actually quite thick, much thicker than the pair shown below. These are the pair marked USMC-867 inside which could be a post war set.

post-599-1178083502.jpg

New Romantic
Did soldiers wear these leggings under the puttees or were they worn seperately?

The canvas leggings were worn seperately.

Greg Robinson
The leather strap on my #4 pair are actually quite thick, much thicker than the pair shown below. These are the pair marked USMC-867 inside which could be a post war set.

Yeah...you're correct. That #4 pair has far fewer hooks and eyelets than the ones I was referring to. Mine are actually like the pair shown here. But mine are marked:

QUARTERMASTER DEPT

US MARINE CORPS

1917-1918

Markings are correct looking but those light weight leather straps have always puzzled me for something intended to be worn in the field

Greg