My Grandfather's Old Documents

Curious Granddaughter

Curious Granddaughter

A few days ago I came across an envelope that contained all these old documents of my grandfathers from his service during WWII. I've been researcing his wartime experience for a few months now. Needless to say, my heart was racing and I was running arond my house trying to figure out what to do with this stuff. lol. I thought my eyes had deceived me - how could I just stumble across something like this? Truly amazing!

post-6310-1243655339.jpg

Curious Granddaughter

This is my great-grandmother accepting my grandfather's Air Medal at Hammer Field in Fresno, CA - he was still being held as a POW in Germany, at this point. He wasn't released until 2 months later. She looks heartbroken - I can't imagine how hard that was for her.

post-6310-1243655915.jpg

These are some amazing documents and books. I can see why you were running around the house :lol: Thanks for sharing these....Kat

Thanks for sharing these wonderful family items. I am glad that you were able to find these treasures that were saved by a thoughtful relative! thumbsup.gif

Reading the Government letters and then seeing post #6 of your great-grandmother getting his medal is really moving...thanks for sharing them. Please update us as you find more info on him.

memphismeister

CG, these are awsome!!!!!! I am glad to see you have these wonderful treasures. Dont forget to get some acid free covers to store them in.

Rob

CG,

Absolutely great items to come accross and be able to save for the family. Your right your G-Grandma looks very sad as anyone would be receiving there sons medal , not knowing what his outcome was. Tail gunner on a Flying Fortress is a very hazardous job. Alot of them lost there lives even if the plane was able to return. Now your hooked on Militaria and its history.

Regards, Mitch

Absolutely incredible. I bet you were running around the house...and bouncing off the ceiling. What a family treasure! And it ended happily with your granddad's release. I hope you scanned everything and made copies for all your family members. Thanks for sharing with us all.

Mike

Curious Granddaughter
Absolutely incredible. I bet you were running around the house...and bouncing off the ceiling. What a family treasure! And it ended happily with your granddad's release. I hope you scanned everything and made copies for all your family members. Thanks for sharing with us all.

Mike

I'm glad you all enjoyed seeing this stuff as much as I enjoy having it! I am actually planning a Christmas gift to all my family members. It will have copies of all the documents and pictures I've come across in my research along with a narration using all the info I've gotten from my grandfather from the interviews I've done with him. I am also trying to get him his POW medal - he never received it. When he received his Purple Heart he got it in the mail (which was very disappointing to him) so I am going to see if he can get his POW Medal presented to him at March, Air Force Base so that my whole family can be present. If I can pull that off I'd be the happiest girl in the world!

locobuster

It is absolutely wonderful you are preserving all fo this in such a way that others can cherish it for years to come! bravo.gif

Cheers! twothumbup.gif

Syd

Great personal family group! Thanks for sharing this. thumbsup.gif Did you notice one letter was signed by General Twining, who later became Air Force Chief of Staff? (I believe he followed Hoyt Vandenberg as head of the USAF in the 50's.)

Curious Granddaughter

I am glad you all enjoyed this posting as much as I did. I found some more items and posted them in the Ephemera & Photographs Discussion room as well. It is entitled: More Family Treasures

Enjoy!

Ash

Ashley, are you going through the local office of your U.S. Congressional Representative or Senator to get those medals awarded?

You will probably get faster service and for certain a ceremony through them, they love to help with that sort of thing!

MW

Curious Granddaughter
Ashley, are you going through the local office of your U.S. Congressional Representative or Senator to get those medals awarded?

You will probably get faster service and for certain a ceremony through them, they love to help with that sort of thing!

MW

Thanks, Mike, I'll try that.

I actually wrote to NARA and they sent back a form to submit along with the documents I have - they said they couldn't locate his record. I don't want to take the documents to get scanned until I have the protective slip covers. Luckily I hadn't submitted it yet because I have come across so much more info in the last week or so, I want to make sure I send them sufficient evidence that my grandfather only received two of his medals and has at least one more coming. Theres a list of other decorations posted on his squadrons website - I'll have to look into those too. The hard part is that my grandmother and I are trying to surprise him - makes it a little more tricky. lol. You made a great suggestion though and I think that one of my uncles might be able to help me with that. He actually got the White House to send my grandfather a birthday card for his 80th birthday. Thanks!

Hopefully it will all pan out. My grandpa loves to dance so it would be the perfect excuse to throw him another party! lol

Ash