ever seen a 1st Army like this?

tbirdismypride

tbirdismypride

Hi, I finally got around to really examining a lot of about 60 patches I bought not to long ago and I found this curious 1st Army mixed in. I have never seen a 1st Army that is red all the way around the patch before. Just for comparison I added another red white and black patch Here is a photo and a couple of closer scans of the patch.

post-1973-1243529478.jpg

post-1973-1243529522.jpg

tbirdismypride
I can't say I have. That is one funky First!! Nice patch!

-Ski

I can't believe I have a patch that you have never seen before Ski w00t.gif

I should get a prize for that one guys!!!! thumbsup.gif Just kidding Ski,,, Just kidding

Nope, never seen one like it either, my first impression is its a manufactures error. It would be nice to know if it actually had a purpose, like say RED Force vs. BLUE force for Exercises. Either way its a neat variation.

FriscoHare
Nope, never seen one like it either, my first impression is its a manufactures error.

I agree. That is one sweet patch. Interesting that the inner (insert) color is cream. Makes you wonder if it really did mean something.

I can't believe I have a patch that you have never seen before Ski w00t.gif

I should get a prize for that one guys!!!! thumbsup.gif Just kidding Ski,,, Just kidding

When I turn around, can you pull the knife out of my back? Hehehehehehe.....

Could the patch be a color test sample?

-Ski

tbirdismypride
When I turn around, can you pull the knife out of my back? Hehehehehehe.....

Could the patch be a color test sample?

-Ski

I would imagine that it is quite possible that this is test sample. The reason I say this is because the color of the red is different than normal. The red color on the patch in question is quite a bit darker than normal. Its alomst a blood color whereas the usual patches are more of a brighter fire engine red.

Patchhouse2

This is a good as well as rare WW2 era 1st Army SSI. It (this piece) has never been fully identified to to the best of my knowledge. Some have said it is a variety of an 1st Army Engineer, others say Artillery and others have said an evalutor (or field exercises).

Several years ago an ASMIC Trading Post had a "color" display of many 1st Army SSIs. I believe it was on the back cover and this was one of the pieces illustrated.

A nice piece to own. Congratulations.

tbirdismypride

Thanks for all the comments and information about this patch. It is really appreciated!

HolyHappiness

It could be a movie patch. I read somewhere that if a film doesn't get DoD support, it has to alter its representation of military uniforms, patches, or any other barely noticeable detail. Take for example the TV show "Jericho". They couldn't get DoD support so they just reversed the colors on their 10th mtn. Division patches.

tbirdismypride

Just so I will know what kind of value would a variation like this have?

There's one on eBay now at $128 with about 2 1/2 days to go. Item number: 140324406953

George

Well, it sure looks like you and Bill Scott have something in common! Wow, what a price!

-Ski

tbirdismypride

$128.00 HOLY S***!!!!!! w00t.gifw00t.gif

I only paid $48.00 for the whole box of about 60, this one was in the box along with another very nice patch from the bad guys in the European Theater. It is worth about $35.00 so I was told.

$128.00 HOLY S***!!!!!! w00t.gifw00t.gif

I only paid $48.00 for the whole box of about 60, this one was in the box along with another very nice patch from the bad guys in the European Theater. It is worth about $35.00 so I was told.

Remember, it's worth what somebody is willing to pay. Either way, you did really good!!

-Ski

tbirdismypride
There's one on eBay now at $128 with about 2 1/2 days to go. Item number: 140324406953

George

For those who didnt see the final verdict. The final bid was $317.00!! I am totally amazed at what people will pay for patches..