Chaplain Colonel Holland O Hope Massive Grouping

Rakkasan187

Rakkasan187

This is going to be a rather lengthy grouping with over 40 pictures. If I do not upload all the pictures at one time, I will record what I upload and continue at a later time.

First I want to give everyone a brief description of how I came about this rather large and unique Airborne Grouping. About 10 years ago Iwas at my local ASMIC monthly meeting in El Paso, Texas. (We have a small group here of only 4 or 5 memebers who come to our get togethers) One of the fellow collectors knew I was interested in anything pertaining to the 187th Airborne Regimental Combat Team. I served with the RAKKASANS in the 80's at Fort Campbell, and my mom's hairdresser's husband was with the 187th and jumped into Korea during the war, plus we have friends of the family who were also 187th Korean Vets. The collector told me he had a hat box from a man he thought was with the 187th, and told me I could have it. The Hat box was just taking up space. He said he also had a field jacket and a set of dress blues somewhere but he wasn't sure where.

I got the hat box and written on the outside was the name CHAPLAIN Colonel HOPE. Inside the box were 2 Officers Hats, One Green and One White. They were in excellent shape. The green is a BERKSHIRE DELUXE. The white is a BANCROFT. (There will be pictures posted)

About 7-8 years past and the same collector told me he found the two uniforms. He told me his cat had vomitted on one but it could be cleaned and the field jacket was in a plastic garment bag. The uniform with vomit was an Officer's Dress Blue uniform with embroidered ribbons. The ribbons were as follow from top to bottom:

The Silver Star, The Bronze Star, Purple Heart, American Campaign, Asiatic Pacfic Campaign with 1 bronze campaign star, WW2 Victory, Army of Occupation, National Defense Service, Korean Service Medal with 1 bronze arrowhead device and 2 campaign stars, Phillipine Liberation Ribbon, and the United Nations Ribbon.

In the pockets were a Combat Infantryman's Badge (clutch back) and Master Parachutist Jump wings with a Combat star affixed to the center. (clutch back wings also)

Also in the pocket was a set of Silver US collar brass and Chaplain Cross's

There were no Shoulder Boards with this uniform, but it was a Chaplain uniform, just by identifying the black cuff trim around the sleeve cuffs.

The field jacket had a business card with Chaplain Hopes information and several ribbons still in the packages (pictures will follow). Also in the pocket of the field jacket was a hood for the 1943 Field Jacket and a modified jeep cap (I'll call it the Radar O'Rielly hat)

I could not find any information for several years, (Or at least I wasn't looking in the right places). In 2007 I stumbled upon some information through a website at the US Army Chaplain School and Museum. I was able to find out some information about Chaplain Hope.

Here is some information from the bio at the Chaplian center.

" Among the paratrooper Chaplains were Francis L. Sampson, Roman Catholic, and Holland Hope, Methodist. Both were seasoned combat veterans of WWII. Chaplain Hope, suffering a fractured vertebra he incurred from the jump, was accompanying the 187th Regimental Combat Team. Hearing that men of "I" Company in the 3rd Battalion had been cut off, Hope, a recognized marksman, organized a rescue force from "L" Company. Following the Chaplian, the men fought to recover the dead and wounded. For this feat, Chaplain Hope was later awarded the Silver Star, the Purple Heart, and one additional, unprecedented award for a Chaplain, the Combat Infantryman's Badge"

This was the only information I could find until May of 2008. The same collector who gave me these items told me that the Chaplain's wife had just past away and their son was in town clearing out the house. My friend went to the house and talked to the son, who gave my friend, several large boxes of patches that belonged to his father. I was also given the son's phone number and address. I called the son the next day, and he sid there may be some more papers and items, and possible his fathers DD214. He was going to check and send them to me if he found them. Well I never did hear from the son again, so I though I had run into another dead end. There were too many questions about t he patches in the lot, plus the ribbons in the pocket. (There were Vietnam service ribbons and Republic of Vietnam campaign ribbons in the pocket of the field jacket)

So with no luck finding any more information, I put all the items together in a box. In January of this year I purchased a year book for the 187th Rakkasans called "The Steel Berets". Much to my surprise there in the bios of some of the Soldiers was Chaplain Holland O Hope.

The mystery of the patches and ribbons was finally coming to an end.

This is some of the biographical information from the Steel Berets....

Holland Hope, born December 12, 1914, at Sweetwater, Texas. He joined the Army in October 1943 as 1st Lt. He served with the US Army Air Force, Americal Division, 27th Inf Div, 77th Inf Div, 11th Airborne Division, 40th Inf Div, 7th Inf Div, 101st Airborne Div, II Field Force, VII Corps.

He participated in Cebu Campaign, WW II (Phillipines) with Americal Div. He joined the 187th Airborne Regimental Combat Team in Japan, in 1947. He participated in the Korean War with the 187th, making the 1st combat jump, then was with the 40th Inf Div and 7th Inf Div on his second tour. He served in Vietnam with II Field Force. Was the Regimental Chaplain of the 503rd Abn Inf.

He qualified with Special Forces (Airborne) and served as Senior Chaplain with 77th SF Group and 10th SF Group in Bad Tolz, Germany. He was the 101st Airborne Division Chaplain. He had 2 tours in Europe, one with 10th SF Gp and one with VII Corps. He had 6 tours in the Far East, WW2, Occuaption of Japan, Sea Duty (Pacific), Korea, 2 tours in Vietnam.

His awards included the SS, LOM, BS, MSM, PH, ARCOM, numerous service medals a four Presidential Unit Citations.

He was also awarded the Combat Infantryman's Badge, Master Parachutist Badge (he had over 350 jumps) and a distinguished pistol shot badge.

Unfortunately I do not have any of his medals or other papers but I think that this is a fantastic grouping of Airborne Patches and insignia.

A few weeks after receiving all these items, I received a call from another gentleman who happens to also be a retired Army Chaplain, also Special Forces Trained, and a Silver Star recepient from Vietnam. (I do have all of his items but that is another story). So I get the call from this man who says he has about 20 uniforms that he wants to give me. (He volunteers at a thrift store and he looks things over before they go out on the floor) He came and gave me the uniforms, nothing special I thought, a bunch of Officers Dress blues and Mess whites. I was given the box free of charge and I took the items home.

I started to look at the uniforms and would you believe it the uniforms all belonged to CHAPLAIN HOLLAND O HOPE!!!! w00t.gif

The last surprise was sitting at the bottom of t he box, it was a Chaplain's Stole (sp??) and sure enough inside were the embroidered initials H.H. I can only assume that it belonged to Chaplain Hope.

This has been an incredible adventure for me to research this great grouping, and given the time frame between when I first received the hat box up to now is even more incredible.

There were no sterling jump wings or medals with this grouping, but I am still very pleased with this great and uncommon lot of Airborne items.

I am still searching for Chaplain Colonel Shoulder Boards that would fit the uniform. (They need to have the 4 snaps on them).

Enjoy the pictures, I am sorry if the quality is not that good, and I look forward to your comments.

MSG Leigh E Smith Jr

US Army (retired) 84/05

3rd Bn 187th Inf Rakksans

post-5554-1241578348.jpg

post-5554-1241578409.jpg

Rakkasan187

I think this will be the last group for tonite. I will add some more on Thursday. I hope you are enjoying this so far.

post-5554-1241580129.jpg

post-5554-1241580022.jpg

What small, lucky, town do you live in! Amazing group, too bad the son never got back in touch with you! Thanks for posting, cant wait to see the rest.

John Cooper

Now that is a great amount of information! I too am looking forward to see more photos!

John

Leigh,

Outsanding group and something anyone would be proud to have in their collection.Thanks for posting the story and I await more pictures.I had personally met Father Sampson on several occasions and he was an extrodinary man.I just wish I could of had some more conversations with him.

RD

Rakkasan187

Here is the remainder of the long awaited pictures to this fantastic grouping. Although there are no helmets or jumpsuits with this collection, I still feel it is a great collection. I hope you all enjoy.

post-5554-1241737368.jpg

post-5554-1241737482.jpg

Rakkasan187

The knife came from the Phillipines, according to the son. No other information about it...

post-5554-1241738071.jpg

post-5554-1241738113.jpg

post-5554-1241738205.jpg

Rakkasan187

All the buttons in the previos picture were from his other dress blues/mess whites and dress green that were all in the box with the stole. The top picture in the last set is the inside of the stole with the Chaplains initials HH

post-5554-1241738970.jpg

post-5554-1241739021.jpg

Rakkasan187

This is the last picture I took,

I hope that you have enjoyed looking at them. I look forward to your comments. I am again sorry for the quality of the pictures. I am learning how to use my new camera.

Leigh....

post-5554-1241739161.jpg

w00t.gifw00t.gif

Very nice ID'd Chaplains grouping! You saved a great piece of the history of this man.