Maj.Gen. George Barnett; Twelfth Marine Corps Commandant

teufelhunde.ret

teufelhunde.ret

Presented here is a period photograph taken in 1919. It is part of a larger grouping of items that I acquired last year and is posted here:

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...876&hl=hill The photograph depicts the presentation of the colors from Commanding Officers of the 5th and 6th Regiments and of the First Marine Aeronautical Company. Lt Hill served as an aviator with this Company which was the first organized Naval Aviation unit sent to France.

hill_ww1_photo.jpg

teufelhunde.ret

Maj Gen Barnett served as Twelfth Commandant from 23 February 1914 - 30 June 1920. He graduated from the Naval Academy in 1881. He served in China, Haiti, Cuba, Phillipines, the SAW. Lt. Hill on the far right served as his aide, at the time of this photgraph.

Barnett.jpg

teufelhunde.ret

Col. Logan Feland was in command of the Fifth Regiment during the Aisne-Marne offensive, near Soissons, and continued in command of it with the

exception of two days in July, 1918 (when Brig. Gen. Lejeune commanded the Fourth Brigade and Col. Neville the Fifth Regiment), until March 21, 1919, when he was relieved by Col. Harold C. Snyder, who retained command until the date of demobilization. After the war he served in various posts becoming the CO of Marine Barracks Parris Island and died while in Command in 1933.

snyder.jpg

teufelhunde.ret

Major Holcomb commanded the 2nd Battalion of the 6th Marines and went on to become the regiments Deputy Commander. Saw action in every battle of the division from Belleau Wood to the Meuse-Argonne. Served as Marine Corps Commandant until early 1944 during the Second World War. As Commandant, he would go on to promote Lt Hill pictured here to Brigadier General.

Major_Holcomb.jpg

teufelhunde.ret

On June 11, 1918, Captain Major was relieved by Capt.George H. Osterhout, who retained command until relieved by Maj. Littleton W. T.

Waller, Jr., on June 21, 1918.On October 24, 1918, Maj. Matthew W. Kingman relieved Maj. Littleton W. T. Waller, jr., in command of the Sixth Machine Gun Battalion of Marines, Maj. Waller joining the Second Division staff as division machine gun officer. He was awarded the Navy Cross and went on to become a Maj General upon retirement. His father - Littleton Waller Tazewell Waller retired as a Maj General, having served from 1881 – 1920. HE SERVED ON SAMAR Hero or Butcher of Samar? Proceedings, U. S. Naval Institute, November 1979 by Captain Paul Melshen, U. S. M. C.

http://www.arlingtoncemetery.net/lwwaller.htm

Maj_L.W.T._Waller.jpg

Darell: To echo Bob's comments, that is indeed a great shot....what amazes me is how Holcomb and Waller had aged from the time I saw them photographed in China to this photo. Waller was there in 1909-1910 as a young Lt and Holcomb 1910-14 was a dashing young Capt.....one World War later they don't look like kids anymore.

teufelhunde.ret
Darell: To echo Bob's comments, that is indeed a great shot....what amazes me is how Holcomb and Waller had aged from the time I saw them photographed in China to this photo. Waller was there in 1909-1910 as a young Lt and Holcomb 1910-14 was a dashing young Capt.....one World War later they don't look like kids anymore.

Dirk, enjoyed talking with you... here is the photo of Holcomb & Hill some thirty years later I recently acquired. It was Hill's promotion to B.G. and Holcomb's last promotion before his retirement as Commandant.

I too am very surprised Maj. Maj. Littleton W. T. Waller, Jr, was in this photograph as the was no love loss between M.G. Barnett and his father M.G. Littleton W. T. Waller, Sr. http://www.arlingtoncemetery.net/lwwaller.htm who was arguably was the most decorated Marine Officer prior to WW1 and should have become Commandant. I tend to think the answer lies somewhere in the middle, Waller Sr and the SAMAR incident (your thread on SAMAR: http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...1&hl=stand) or Barnett's Naval Academy / political connections? Will likely never know...?

hill__s_promotion_the_BG.jpg