dates of adoption onthe 1919 brass issue tag

jgawne

Someone save me from having to dig through a dozen boxes to find this. I need a reference on the date of adoption (and authority) for the three-pronged equipment ID tag adopted in 1919- and the date it was finally elminated.

If anyone has that handy.

This photo was taken by my Grandfather at the wreck site of the USS Shenandoah Dirigible near Cambridge, Ohio on September 5, 1925. It shows one of the soldiers guarding the wreckage and the id disks on his bayonet scabbard, first aid pouch and canteen cover.

SLDRCLS1.jpg

So that drawing is Nov 1920, but I was always told (and thought I read) they were adopted in 1919.

Someone must have the official date of adoption someplace?

craig_pickrall

The title block of the drawing refers to them as M1919 and below the title block is a note that the drawing supercedes another drawing. Having been an engineer and dealing with drawings of this sort most of my life I would suspect the first drawing was smaller because there was less detail. It probably included the basic design of the tag and how they were to be marked. Later I expect they added the details of all the branches and they needed a larger piece of paper and that dictated a different drawing number.

The title block of the drawing refers to them as M1919 and below the title block is a note that the drawing supercedes another drawing.

ah, I could not read that. Then it makes sesne. I just wish I could find the authority for using them.

My suspisions were that the Army found the previous way of marking in ink a pain as then the item could not be reused without making it a mess. So by using an interchangeable disk they could just pull it off and put on a new one.