Removing Tarnish from Silver Bullion

tbirdismypride

tbirdismypride

Hello everyone,

I have a older Air Force Hat with the Silver Bullion on the brim but it has a little green tarnish on the bullion. Is there a way to remove the tarnish without damaging the bullion? Thanks

Hello everyone,

I have a older Air Force Hat with the Silver Bullion on the brim but it has a little green tarnish on the bullion. Is there a way to remove the tarnish without damaging the bullion? Thanks

I like to use a silver polishing cloth for that kinda stuff..or just a soft toothbrush and toothpaste..

Thing is, it is practically impossible to remove all the tarnish on bullion, by any known means - especially without staining the surrounding textile material.

So, if you do surface clean (and, by the way, good toothpaste IS a wonderfully gentle abrasive) then the bullion is likely to end up looking like it has had its surface cleaned - there will still be tarnished areas where you could not reach... probably.

Or, the bullion will look like it was made "yesterday" - and that ain't possible if its McCoy.

I'd leave it be.

I don't know if this will work or not, but would ultrasonic help? There are ultrasonic cleaners for jewelry. Use that with dry cleaning solution? I know ultrasonic cleaners are promoted as being able to remove tarnish.

And of course it's best to just leave it, but this may be one solution.

John

Thing is, it is practically impossible to remove all the tarnish on bullion, by any known means - especially without staining the surrounding textile material.

So, if you do surface clean (and, by the way, good toothpaste IS a wonderfully gentle abrasive) then the bullion is likely to end up looking like it has had its surface cleaned - there will still be tarnished areas where you could not reach... probably.

Or, the bullion will look like it was made "yesterday" - and that ain't possible if its McCoy.

I'd leave it be.

Never use tooth paste to clean anything gold or silver. The fluoride will damage the metal. While it may look clean the chemical reaction will cause long term damage. As a jeweler I would suggest to other alternatives. One a good silver cleaning cream, make sure it is a cream and not a paste. Another very good product is a Tarnish off cleaning solution. It requires that you put the entire item in the solution, so bullion is not good to be cleaned with this but and entire badge great. Iy does wonders on gold plated items. Several of these are on the market, but be very careful, some have acid in them. Look for this under various names and many time the word Magic is in the title. I buy it by the gallon and rebottle in small containers. Also for a quick and great clean are polishing cloths, one of the best is the SunShine cloth sold by Rio Grande at www.riograde.com item number 337-013 at $2.20 if you want just one. A great way to polish bullion and remove tarnish from small spots. Hope this helps.

Cobrahistorian

I mentioned smoke-off sponges in the supplies thread. I just used a small section of one to surface clean Lt Frederic Coudert's M1896 uniform (he was commander of Squadron A, NY Volunteer Cavalry in Cuba) and it pulled enough of the tarnish off to make it shiny, yet not overly cleaned. It looks vintage, but is a bit brighter and more presentable.

If you're going to do it, be VERY gentle, but it works nicely!

Jon