88th ARCOM and 2nd MarDiv patched BDU top

Jason G

Another thrift store find, a nice BDU top with 88th ARCOM on the left sleeve, and 2nd Marine Division 'Wartime Service' SSI on the right. Our soldier must have used pin on rank insignia, none was present and I didn't see any evidence of sewn on insignia ever being there, only holes where the pin on insignia once was. Also note that our soldier/Marine earned a Combat Infantry Badge at some time.

Not sure of the time period our soldier/Marine served. This is my first one that's got a Marine FWTSI SSI, which is why I got it.

post-271-1232985843.jpg

Closeup of the 2nd Marine Division subdued SSI

post-271-1232985885.jpg

I know that the 2nd Marine Division SSI is authorized as a combat patch for some Army units for service in Iraq but does anyone know if there are any infantry units included in this list where a soldier might have earned a CIB while attached to a Marine unit? Or could the soldier have served as a rifleman in combat with a Marine infantry unit and earned a Combat Action Ribbon? If so, do Army regulations allow this to be converted to a CIB if the Marine later joins the Army or is the CIB strictly limited to service in an Army infantry unit?

Yes, that's not unheard of. The CAR can be converted to a CIB IF the soldier was an infantryman at the time the CAR was awarded. Doesn't happen every day but it does happen.