Pre-WWII US NAVY leather Flight Helmets 1920-1940

KASTAUFFER

I havent seen any threads devoted to Pre-WWII Flight Helmets so I decided to start this one!

This first flight helmet belonged to Walter J. Daly. He earned his " wings of gold" in 1919 and was one of the first pilots to serve on the Navy's 1st aircraft carrier , the USS Langley . This helmet was worn by him at that time ( 1921-23 ) . It is a typical WWI style helmet that has had the bill removed on the front for better visibility. There are no marks or labels inside.

MVC_001L.JPG

MVC_002L.JPG

MVC_003L.JPG

The next two are typical of what was worn in the 1930's . The difference between these helmets is that one is lined in leather, and the other silk.

This helmet was worn by Ensign Adrian Borchers of Patrol Squadron 8. The Helmet is marked with his name inside and and AP is writton on the side of the helmet. Borchers earned his wings in 1930, helping to date this helmet.

MVC_004L.JPG

MVC_005L.JPG

MVC_006L.JPG

This final helmet is VERY unusual . While it is not named, a very famous AIRSHIP is mentioned on the helmet. I really doubt this helmet was on the USS Macon when she crashed into the surf off of Point Sur CA on Feb 12, 1935. This helmet may have been owned by someone who served on her at some point, or by one of the pilots who searched for her survivors. We will never know, but what is written on the helmet to memorialize her has been there for a VERY long time. USS MACON is written once on the outside. On the inside it says" 2/12/35 USS MACON FELL AT SEA 100 MILES SOUTH OF SAN FRISCO. Also written on it in a differrent color of ink is MACON LOOKOUT .

MVC_009L.JPG

MVC_010L.JPG

MVC_011L.JPG

Kurt This is a great idea for a thread and some very nice examples shown. I've always wondered how one can ID a military issue pre-WWII model flight helmet from a civilian one? I sometimes see them in dealers stalls, rather cheap, but have no idea if they are military or civilian. Did they have specific models or did the Navy look for general characteristics before buying from a particular manufacturer? Just learning here.

Kurt This is a great idea for a thread and some very nice examples shown. I've always wondered how one can ID a military issue pre-WWII model flight helmet from a civilian one? I sometimes see them in dealers stalls, rather cheap, but have no idea if they are military or civilian. Did they have specific models or did the Navy look for general characteristics before buying from a particular manufacturer? Just learning here.

Thanks Dirk

That is a good question! I posted these because knew they had been worn by USN veterans, rather than posting hemets, that appeared to be US Navy.

There is a nice selection of helmets on Museum of Naval Aviation's website. You can search their collection at this site and entering " flight helmet"

http://collections.naval.aviation.museum/Query.php

They have some helmets from the 20's and 30's that are similar to mine. They have the same cut, construction, ETC.

During WWI Naval Aviators seem to have worn the same style helmets as the Army did. I know there are specific ones that are considered Army or Navy, but you see many the same. The helmet I have is identical to a USAAS helmet from WWI, but I know who wore the one I have.

None of the ones I own seem to have contract labels or maker labels, just size labels. The 2 from thre 30's do almost appear to be made to similar specs. The pattern looks the same except for the lining.

Kurt

• 1 year later...
post-105-1232409058.jpg

post-105-1232409065.jpg

Hi Kurt,

I collect aviation Air Mail covers from VP squadron flights crossing the Pacific Ocean in the 1930s. By chance I have a cover carried by VP-8 as it made a mass squadron flight that may be related to Ens. Borchers. Just a thought as in looking through newspaper articles I found lists of crew member names for a similtanious January 10, 1934 San Fransisco to Hawaii flight.

Cheers, Dave

• 1 year later...
  • 5 years later...