WW1 NAVY WING DIE

Belleauwood

Well, if you like Navy Wings (and I do), I found a really neet item today when my 8 and 10 year old want to hit a few antique stores (really). - We missed a pile of WW2 Navy pilot's Japanese bring-backs as well as his flight gear by about 5 minutes. I was more than bumbed until we hit the last shop before coming home.

In a tray of a bunch of old tools, I saw a block of metal with the outline of US Navy Wings on the surface. Closer inspection proved this to be a WW1 / possibly 1920 die for the Naval Wing. It was coated in a filthy oily goo and dirt and I hoped the recesses of the wing area were not pitted. A little laquar thinner and a stiff bristle nylon brush not only revealed no pitting, but a nice silver metal finish to the wing!

For what's it's worth, my grief for missing the helmets was somewhat quieted.

The WW1 BB&B wing is not a perfect fit but damn close.

Ain't it fun to play with your children??

post-3422-1230504685.jpg

Too cool!

You know, in the wrong hands.....

They were making that pattern of wings into WWII as well. I have some wings from a guy who want to Pensacola in late 1944 and never went overseas. In his stuff were a couple of wings in that pattern. Still, a great find! You are a lucky dog!

Patrick

Well done Dennis!! ;)

It couldn't have happen to a nicer or more deserving fellow.

CliffP

Gotta agree with that! Nice find to a nice guy.

Mark

Dennis - just back from the snow and read this thread. I for one would love to have found this! This is a great addition to a collection and I only hope to find some like it in the future!

John

That is very COOOL! I for one would be far happier with what you did find then the items you missed. The other stuff anyone can find....this die though...if there is another it is being well hidden.

I am very envious and very happy for you!

Gary

teufelhunde.ret

Dennis, you have indeed found something extremely unique that will become a great conversation piece! Question, you mention the die is made of medal, have you been able to determine what type? Thank you for sharing with us. s/f Darrell

• 2 weeks later...

This is current AF, but I just got it in a job over run lot.. It's all brass. Note the blank on top for the star or wreath. This is the first stamp, after the blank is inserted. Got an unfinished transitional AF enlisted winged prop too.. Just thought it kinda went along the lines of the original topic.

Fins

post-4106-1231555971.jpg

post-4106-1231555980.jpg