Study of airship pilot's insignia and wings

pfrost

I grabbed these photos off of ebay a few years ago. Two very nice studio portraits of the same man, one likely from the 1920's, early 1930's and one from likely around WWII period. Also, a group photo of 9 other airship pilots likely taken in Chicago. Assuming around 50-100 men had the airship pilot rating, this represents about 5-10% of all the pilots.

First, the earlier photo. It is a real beauty of a picture, and is extra nice because you can see a great deal of detail on his wings.

post-1519-1225584090.jpg

An even closer view of the wing. You start loosing detail at this magnification, but I am pretty sure this is likely a BB&B wing.

post-1519-1225584311.jpg

Next is a photo of the same man from likely the WWII time period. At this point he is a major or Lt Col, I believe. It seems he is still wearing the same wings, but I can not capture the same level of detail to be 100% sure.

post-1519-1225584398.jpg

I believe this group photo was taken around the same time as the first picture. Likely late 1920's. You can see a variety of uniforms.

Of the nine pilots shown, I have IDs for about half.

Front row, left to right:

Capt D W Rowan

Capt E N Berglund

Unknown

1st Lt C Eugene Silver

Second Row, left to right

(Cant read his first name but maybe Linton or Trenton(?) A York

2nd Lt Frank H WHite (since he is wearing glasses, he may not be a pilot)

Unknown

My guy (not named)

2nd Lt H C Finley

post-1519-1225584773.jpg

At least 4 of the men standing in the last row are wearing airship wings.

First, the wings of Lt York. They are clearly bullion wings.

post-1519-1225584885.jpg

The wings of the two unidentified pilots, 3rd and 4th from the left are likely BB&B style wings. The first is the wing on the tall man on the left, the second wing is from my guy. They look to be just about the same.

post-1519-1225585175.jpg

post-1519-1225585880.jpg

This last wing, IMHO is different from the other wings and likely (to my way of looking at it) is a Blackinton (or Kenney) pattern wing.

The overall shape of the wings and the airship are different Also, the gondola.

So, in this one photo, I believe you can see at least 3 different types of airship wings, with some possibility to actually ID these wings to manufacturer...if you feel generous.

Patrick

post-1519-1225585245.jpg

The unknown officer sitting in the front row (next to the guy with the sword) is wearing a DUI on his hat. This is the best scan I can get of that DUI. If anyone recognizes it, let me know!

Thanks and I hope this added some information to the discussion of airship wings.

Patrick

post-1519-1225586025.jpg

The unknown officer sitting in the front row (next to the guy with the sword) is wearing a DUI on his hat...If anyone recognizes it, let me know!

The DI is 21st Airship Group. Massaro catalogs this variant as 21A3, an unapproved version of the DI that appeared c. early 1930s.

Great series, Patrick. Thanks for posting it here.

Patrick,

Not sure if I posted this but this photo and so mnay of the others you post are a great historical reference. THANKS!

John

• 2 years later...

Today, I scored another treat. This is a 21st Airship Group DUI (I believe). Made by Robbins Co. Similar (but not exact) to the one shown in the photo above.

post-1519-1292187723.jpg

Today, I scored another treat. This is a 21st Airship Group DUI (I believe). Made by Robbins Co. Similar (but not exact) to the one shown in the photo above.

And the back. I would guess that this is one of the rarer USAAC related DUI's one can find? It came out of a shoe box of junk and scrap silver, and only because I had been studying the posts by Cliff, was I able to remember it at all.

post-1519-1292187849.jpg

Another terrific find, Patrick. Amazing, isn't it, how such bits of history can be overlooked and even destroyed over the course of time? I often ask a seller who is a family member for information or a picture of the airman who wore the badges and often discover that they simply don't have the pictures and can recall little about the airman. Kind of sad, isn't it? Such amazing exploits often leaving such light tracks.

HI Patrick,

Very nice pickup! After a quick look into Massaro it appears to be #21A2 based on the motto at the bottom. According to the book I have this DI is considered uncommon and was worn until the mid 1930's at which time it was replaced by 21A3 (see below from my collection)

PS I wish I had your luck!

Cheers

John