82nd Airborne Grouping 1st Lt. Franklin L. Thomas

Bugme

I've posted this grouping before about 1st Lt. F.L. Thomas on another thread but, recently finished all my research on it including a photo of his grave marker at Wood National Cemetery in Milwaukee, Wisconsin.

Mr. Thomas was in the 82nd Airborne, 504th PIR, 3rd Battalion, HQ Company and was involved in the D-Day invasion, Market Garden and the Battle of the Bulge. His unit was also involved in the Waal River crossing. 1st Lt. Thomas led a machine gun platoon. Below is a picture of his grouping. I have yet to determine why he had a 6th Army patch with the grouping but, I've chosen to put it together with his items since he had it with them.

USMF_Posting_084.jpg

Very nice grouping my friend. thumbsup.gif I love collectors who do follow-up history on their groupings.

- Jeff

Thanks Jeff, I was able to make a request on graves.com for the grave marker picture. I had a volunteer photographer on that site take the picture and forward it to me in less than 24 hours!

dogfacedsoldier

Hello

I like to see people who take the time to research out a group. It can be rewarding and fustrating, even with a name. Outstanding job!

Jon

Thanks guys! Years ago, I was just a military gatherer, you know, buy this, buy that and stick it on a shelf. Since I've matured(militaria speaking) I now find researching these items to be both rewarding and sobering. Protecting the sacrifice these guys made is a heavy responsibility and none of us who collect should take lightly what we've been entrusted with.

Hello

I like to see people who take the time to research out a group. It can be rewarding and fustrating, even with a name. Outstanding job!

Jon

So true! Great grouping. Thanks Clete