Subdued 82nd Airborne Recondo LRRP

AndrewA74

Hello,

I bought this for $3 at the flea market yesterday. I was wondering what y'all think about this 82nd Airborne Division Recondo LRRP Patch? The scan made the twill seem grey but it is green. When were these used?

Thanks,

Andrew

post-889-1217272338.jpg

post-889-1217272364.jpg

craig_pickrall

Here are some other variations of the 82nd Recondo School patch. I think their usage was dropped with the change over to Woodland BDU's.

post-5-1217286094.jpg

I'm just making an educated guess, but I'd say yours was from the late 1970's, early 1980's. And that would be about the time Woodland BDU's started coming in. While not rare, they are a neat item as the GI had to earn them.

• 3 years later...
thomasnorthrop

Airborne: Thomas Northrop, I served in the 82nd Airborne and went through RECONDO LRRP School on Bragg. I would like to the Patch to replace the one I lost. Please let me your price.

Does anyone else know where I can purchase a 82nd Airborne LRRP Patch. Please help if you can. Thanks.

My email is [email protected]. Please email at the VA

Hello,

I bought this for $3 at the flea market yesterday. I was wondering what y'all think about this 82nd Airborne Division Recondo LRRP Patch? The scan made the twill seem grey but it is green. When were these used?

Thanks,

Andrew

Andrew,

My brother was stationed at Ft Bragg in 1969 and he obtained an example of the very first attempt to make this patch. The green around the "AA" was a dark green (British Racing Green?) instead of the OD like yours that was the final color. I am not certain how long after the initial green color they moved on to the OD. In addition, initially the LRRP tab was a separate piece. Good luck finding one of those.

Patch Johnson

I was just reading the ASMIC article regaurding this patch last night! :think: I like how the author got them in trade instead of maybe some C-rats! Your patch does look alot like the one in the article but Patch is right about the color (s). Good addition to any collection! :thumbsup:

I was just reading the ASMIC article regaurding this patch last night! :think: I like how the author got them in trade instead of maybe some C-rats! Your patch does look alot like the one in the article but Patch is right about the color (s). Good addition to any collection! :thumbsup:

Andrew,

Here are the photos from my brother's article in a recent Trading Post.

Patch Johnson

post-640-1324659630.jpg

post-640-1324659694.jpg

post-640-1324659708.jpg

post-640-1324659757.jpg

Andrew,

Here are the photos from my brother's article in a recent Trading Post.

Patch Johnson

Hey, Troops,

Sorry I fast-fingered the previous post in that I double posted one of the photos. However, note that the LRRP tab is a separate tab, despite the fact that a casual glance would suggest it was an integral tab.

Patch Johnson

A note of interest, in 1963 this patch identified one who went through the "Raider" Detachment qualification course. The detachment was commanded by a young Lt. can't remember his last name but his first name was August and we referred to him as "Auggi Doggi". He later lost his legs to a mine in VN. We also wore a black baseball cap with the patch on the front rather than the Ridgeway caps being worn in the division at that time. Don't know when the designation was changed to "LLRP" as I left the division in 64 but at that time is was a "Raider" patch.

Terry

• 6 years later...

My certificate for Graduation gives date of Nov. 1974, says class 5-75. Not sure if that's a typo cause my rank is PFC so might be class 5-74.

Signed by Major Charles H. Jackson and BG John F. Forrest ADC-O. in ink. No computers back them. As I recall the patch which went on the front pocket same other side from Jungle Warfare Patch they gave for the Canal Zone School. Patch looks like bottom one from Steverino post. First week PT on steroids from before sunup, than classroom instruction often in shack across from Barracks with no mattress just metal spring non covered box type beds. All we were given to eat were beans and rice twice a day. Next two weeks started with UH1H jump and we did patrols, changing patrol leaders, some recon, some raids, c-rations were vectored in by and dropped out of UH1H. Except for the raid on village where we found live chickens and rice cooked in big old tin cans that got shipped to mess halls. Last day was side for life from a lashed together bunch of branches think it was 60 feet up. Than over to that cross the river rope about 20 feet over river where we had done poncho raft class thing in week one. Drop out rate in my class was maybe 30 %. There were 3 UH1H's that started week 2 so that's 24. Most who dropped out did so in week 1. Coupe injury exits in week 2&3 during patrol.

There is another patch when they changed the name in 80's because I have seen it with a class picture and certificate at my friends tire store from the mid 80's. He told me the early 70's one was said to have been much more difficult. Who knows ? Know it was a lot more difficult than Jungle Warfare I went too. Know the first Jungle Warfare School in Fort Colby, Panama was completely different. Longer and more difficult because my father who had the scroll from 2nd Rangers WW2. Rudders Rangers was an instructor there where he met and married my Mom who taught at base school. John Giles the famous gunsmith from Odessa, Fla. was the civilian gunsmith. My Mom and his wife Pat were friends for life after the place. Remember us stopping there on trip from Massachusetts where we lived (Moms hometown) down to Brownsville, Texas area where Dad grew up, another stop was in Alabama to visit grave of Sgt. Johnny Vale a Ranger pal of Dads who left this world early.

Also saw a recondo school patch T-Shirt with LRRP over top from the post Nam Herd 173rd last weekend at 82nd Airborne Assoc. Bash in Ct. Assoc. membership is all Jumpers who actively served in Airborne units so mix of old 101st., 82nd, Herd, SF, and few others (Rangers etc) The first Rangers did not jump, no time and different mission. They did school in Scotland and went right to battle. Heck Dad only knew one who was there whole time. Everyone was out for wound recovery time and majority were KIA. That is why they resisted the Blue Diamond Ranger tab, thought it an unlawful order. So the Army just had them move it to other sleeve. The Rangers insisted out of respect for their dead brothers. All of them were awarded the current school Ranger Tab by a general order. By that time few were on active duty and none wore it because of the scroll on the right sleeve which is different from current scroll. So it is not about the arrow head or badge it is about the team who earned the right to wear the badge. But I am pissed I lost mine. 1600=40times40= 40 square=3rd derivative of 40. So same thing moves on with time. We did what we did in our time of life.

Dwight,

Thank you for your service. Class numbers are generated off of the fiscal year which starts on 1 October of each year, so you were in the 5th class started after October 1st. I went through airborne school in December 1985 and was in class 10-86.

Allan