101st RECONDO Patch

BEAR

This patch was awarded to members of the 101st Airborne Division who graduated from the RECONDO course. Similiar courses were set up in the 82nd and in Vietnam. Most LRRPs were RECONDO graduates.

BEAR

• 6 months later...

Actually, for many pre- VN years it was awarded to anyone who completed the 101st RECONDO school at Campbell (as well as West Point cadets who completed the course). Later, the course (and patch) were modified for the USMA RECONDO course.

According to Eyes Behind The Lines by MAJ James Gebhardt (the Army's official after-action report of the LRRPS from the 1950s to early 2000s); one of the biggest problems for LRRP units in VN was that individuals were NOT formally trained prior to joining the units; but rather gained most of their skills through OJT training by operating with the units.

Go to: http://www-cgsc.army.mil/carl/download/csi...bhardt_LRRP.pdf

See page 64 & 67.

A little "Googling" produced the following information:

Go to: http://www.lcompanyranger.com/101recondo/r...historypage.htm

It seems the 101st Recondo School was created by the divison commander (then MG Westmoreland) in 1958-'59. While anyone in the 101st could attend; preferential selection was given to squad and fireteam leaders in hopes that attendance at the school would enhance their leadership skills.

Amazing what a few minutes on Google will produce. ;)

craig_pickrall

In later pics you would probably see the RECON patch on the left pocket but this is an early pic. On a field jacket of all things!

post-5-1187545119.jpg

post-5-1187545129.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
VolunteerArmoury

I have one from the XVIIIth Airborne Corps. I have been told several times that the Recondo course was a the basis for the formation of a PLDC now WLC.

When I went through the Recondo course at Ft Bragg it was more like SERE school (Survival, Escape, Resistance and Evasion). It wasn't a leadership course at all.

I have one from the XVIIIth Airborne Corps. I have been told several times that the Recondo course was a the basis for the formation of a PLDC now WLC.

• 2 weeks later...
When I went through the Recondo course at Ft Bragg it was more like SERE school (Survival, Escape, Resistance and Evasion). It wasn't a leadership course at all.

Picture of Thailand Recondo School On vietnam war

14-8-254912-49-03_0025.jpg

• 5 years later...

After the entire Division was present in Vietnam after the fall of 1967, did the 101st Abn Div ( albeit now an Airmobile Division) continue to run it's Recono course?

In later pics you would probably see the RECON patch on the left pocket but this is an early pic. On a field jacket of all things!

attachicon.gif101_RECON_PATCH_1.jpg

attachicon.gif101_RECON_PATCH_2.jpg

I remember this photo in a big fat Army history book I got as a kid in the early 70s, by Colonel John Elting if IIRC, this 101 Recondo Arrowhead from what i remember is on White Twill rather then the most common fully embroidered type.

Sgt_Rock_EasyCo

Some years ago I was conferring with the 18th Airborne Corps Historian regarding the peacetime history of the Recondo Schools. I ended up being referred to one one CSM Lowell Stevens (retired and R.I.P.) located at Camp McKall. Between the Corps and Lowell Stevens I was basically told that the US Army kept poor records during peacetime but good records of war time exploits. As a result, the Recondo School history is quite gray and quite muddled. Lowell was a 101st Recondo Graduate as well as a MACV SOG Operator, Ranger, SF and all that high speed stuff during his career. I believe he mentioned being a MACV Recondo Instructor as well.

As someone previously mentioned, Westmoreland started the Recondo project at Campbell. Lowell said that since Ranger School was primarily for Junior Officers and those with the need for the school (Rangers), it was almost impossible for the regular junior enlisted soldier to get some sort of leadership training. Westmoreland took a cadre of mostly Ranger Qualified NCO's and started the program for his non-nco soldiers. He couldn't use the tab so they concocted the arrow and the name of the school. The rest of the Army liked it so Lowell and some of the 101st Cadre travelled the Continental US to assist other Divisions in setting up their own Recondo programs, hence the reason you see 9th ID Recondo Arrow and such. Westmorland instituted the Vietnam MACV Recondo Course, the most demanding course of it's type in the theatre really, and one in which all services wished to send their high speeds to attempt.

My personal interest is due to the fact that I graduated from the only long surving Recondo School (18th Airborne Recondo) in 1984. I didn't care for the arrow that much but decades had passed and I researched the history of the Recondo School and found that it is a pretty interesting subject. I was lucky to talk with Lowell a few times before he passed away because he participated in the Recondo Project, or was present from inception to deactivation.

When I went to the 18th Corps Recondo, it was basically a mini-Ranger leadership course and was quite condensed and intense. Originally, the 82nd Airborne started their own Recondo type course in the 1960's but called it the "Raider School"- Why, you ask? Lowell said that the competition between the 101st and 82nd Airborne Divisions was very tense and so he believes it's because the 82nd Airborne was bummed they hadn't thought of the idea first and decided to be different out of spite. Eventually the 82nd Raider was adopted and run by the 18th Airborne Corps in the 70's. It stayed basically the same until the mid to late 80's where it became absorbed into the PLDC Program. The old compound was used by the Corps Pre-Ranger Students.

There are more Ranger Qualified Service Members than there are Recondo Qualified, even considering those that graduated from the peacetime CONUS schools. Those that graduated from the MACV Recondo School, like two guys I know, are as rare as hens teeth. The history of the Recondo Program is somewhat muddled but fascinating as it relates to the junior enlisted soldier. It is their moment to attain an elite badge. While I didn't like the arrow at first (I thought a Recondo Tab would have been better), age has tempered my view and now I understand the history of Recondo, where it started, where it went, and where it died.

I am proud to wear the Recondo Arrow. As far as value goes, they will spike in value as more time passes. Ranger tabs are a dime a dozen, Real Recondo Arrows will eventually hold more value.

Rock