1922-23 USMC Marine Guard Dress Blue Tunic/Trousers

bobgee

Howdy y'all. Was at the Fort Worth Militaria show this past weekend (If you missed it, you missed out!) and acquired this fine original outfit at the very end of the show as the dealer who owned it was walking out the door. Several USMC collectors including our own Sr. Mod Jeremiah lusted after it but the seller was very proud of it as he should have been and now I am! So it sat. I made an offer - he countered - We flipped for the difference - I Lost! And I don't care!!!! LOL :D

As I was driving home I fantasized about his ship, hoping it would turn out to be exotic. I went to Ancestry.Com immediately and there he was - on board USS ARIZONA! The pics I hope tell the story to a point. Everything on it appears original to the period. These are truly M1920 Dress EGAs. The Rifle Expert badge and Pistol Expert badge with EGA are very nice variants. His crossed ifle P.F.C. marks & shipboard qualification badges made this sea-going Marine a stand out! Bet he had lots of female attention.

The tunic has a 1918 Phila QM stamp - blue trousers have a 1920 stamp and his name stenciled. No mothing at all though the tunic is a bit faded. His Good Conduct Medal is engraved " No. 82376 - Lowell H. Pearson - 1st Enlistment 1922 - 1925". After serving in USS ARIZONA he joined several different Machine Gun companies in the FMF. Enjoy the pics! Semper Fi.....Bobgee

Arizona_USMC_Tunic_1.JPG

Arizona_USMC_Tunic_2.JPG

Arizona_USMC_Tunic_3.JPG

Arizona_USMC_Tunic_4.JPG

Arizona_USMC_Tunic_6.JPG

Arizona_USMC_Tunic_7_Ratings.JPG

teufelhunde.ret

Oh so original!!!!!!! Untouched and unmolested, just does not get much better that this!!!!! Bob, those shooting badges appear to be matched in age as well. Being a gunner... did he inscribe his name, are they hallmarked? What action was the expeditionary given for? Jeremiah, you must be heart broken crybaby.gif about this one. s/f Darrell

I think even back then, they must have called it the "Superman Suit." Bob do you know what all the small emblems mean " E" and the emblems on cuff area.

Bob Hudson
I think even back then, they must have called it the "Superman Suit." Bob do you know what all the small emblems mean " E" and the emblems on cuff area.

Those sleeve emblems were shared with the Navy, dating back to at least WWII:

usmcsleeves.jpg

jeremiahcable

Bob, you certainly did make the best buy of the show as far as USMC goes. Nope, no heartbreak Darrell, I can't have them all........yet. whistling.gif

camelgreen44

I saw it there myself this weekend. Bobgee, your photos are great but don't do it justice. The patina that is present on the left chest is beautiful, you have to see it in person to really appreciate it !!! I was drooling !! Glad you got it !! Denny

Denny - They are nice. Here are some close-ups of the badges. Did we make contact at ther Show?

The 2 non-issue Expert badges are unmarked, unengraved have open catches and appear to be made of 'german silver'. The GCM is correctly engraved and the number is verified in the discharge entry in the 1925 Muster Rolls. Don't know what the qualification was for the Expeditionary Ribbon. Will require more work. It was only a Ribbon until the early 1930's when the Expeditionary Medal was instituted. Semper Fi....Bobgee

Pearson_Expert_Badge_OBV.JPG

Pearson_Pistol_Expert_Badge.JPG

GCM.JPG

camelgreen44

Bobgee.Thanks for the close-ups,Thats what I meant! Sweet! No,we didn't make contact, I really dont know you. I hung out a bit with John K. and Howard, and visited with Marv D. Maybe I'll meet you next time! Denny

robert60446

Fantastic find! This variant of Pistol Expert with EGA is a real killer! I’m still missing one in my collection… crybaby.gif

Hey, Bob, Jeremiah and I have decided it is fake, so feel free to send it my way. We've worked out a custody agreement on it where he gets every other month. naughty.gif

Kurt Barickman

Wow, cool early "cannon cocker" there. Nice job, would look great on a mannequin with a visor. Keep posting as I am unable and have a bunch of stuff for show and tell but still can't get my photos small enough on my new digital think.gif Congrats again.

Kurt Barickman

Some folks suggested that I should put P.F.C. Pearson, late of the U.S.S. ARIZONA on a manniken with a cover. Seems I had both so here are a few more pics of him on duty in my CP. Semper Fi....Bobgee

Pearson_USMC_Uniform_008.jpg

Pearson_USMC_Uniform_009.jpg

Pearson_USMC_Uniform_010.jpg

jeremiahcable
VERY BEAUTIFUL PIECE. Congratulations on that great find!!

Steve

From Steve, that is a real complement!!