Help with purchaing Boots

cmjordan77

cmjordan77

Hi,

I am getting started in reenacting. I have WWII Double buckle boots. I am looking to buy a pair of boots. I am debating of whether or not to buy a pair of New Brown Corcoran boots, or to buy a pair of low top boots. I dont know what I should buy. I know it depends on what I am reenacting but I want a good all around boot. If I get the Corcoran's I need to know nothing more. If I get the low tops, I dont know if I should get the service boot or the roughout boot.

Also, I have looked around, and it looks like WWII Impressions has a good boot, but can someone please help me if there is a better repro boot out there?

I wear a pair of Korean era brown boots everyday and they look like the WWII Para boots. I want to get another good pair for reenacting.

Any suggestions?

I am going to buy a pair for myself for my birthday, which is JUNE 6th, D-day. I actually am glad I was born on that day, but a few years later, 1977. My grandfather fought in the war, and he told me all about D-day when I was a kid, and about how I was born on that date (when I had no clue as a child).

Thank you all,

I am glad I am a member on this site.

1258th combat engineers (my grandfathers WWII Combat Engineer group).

The basic mid-late war combat boot that was worn was the M1943 double buckle rough-outs. It depends on what you plan on reenacting. Many paratroopers wore the M43's late in the war...

Patriot

Hi,

I am getting started in reenacting. I have WWII Double buckle boots. I am looking to buy a pair of boots. I am debating of whether or not to buy a pair of New Brown Corcoran boots, or to buy a pair of low top boots. I dont know what I should buy. I know it depends on what I am reenacting but I want a good all around boot. If I get the Corcoran's I need to know nothing more. If I get the low tops, I dont know if I should get the service boot or the roughout boot.

Also, I have looked around, and it looks like WWII Impressions has a good boot, but can someone please help me if there is a better repro boot out there?

I wear a pair of Korean era brown boots everyday and they look like the WWII Para boots. I want to get another good pair for reenacting.

Any suggestions?

I am going to buy a pair for myself for my birthday, which is JUNE 6th, D-day. I actually am glad I was born on that day, but a few years later, 1977. My grandfather fought in the war, and he told me all about D-day when I was a kid, and about how I was born on that date (when I had no clue as a child).

Thank you all,

I am glad I am a member on this site.

1258th combat engineers (my grandfathers WWII Combat Engineer group).

I am not sure what unit you are going to portray. But if you are going to portray your grandfathers unit then I would (and im sure you already have) research what footwear they were issued and buy accordingly. I like the look of the type II service shoe with leggings the best, but if you are going to do a late war impression you may want to run double buckles. Like I said it all depends on what unit you are going to portray. thumbsup.gif

It's also worthy to point out that the Type II Service Shoe was also worn concurrently with the M43 Double Buckle combat boots. There are plenty of photographs of soldiers in 1945 wearing this both patterns.

Patriot

cmjordan77

I have a good pair of original double buckles that I do not want to mess up but some of the repros I have seen are ugly. When you see reenactor photos, they stand out like a sore thumb. I wanted to see any good repros out there? Is WWII Impressions? I want to see what is the most popular. Also, for the Low boots Any recommendations for who I should buy them from?

Also, I have a Orig M-41 Field Jacket, any ideas of who makes a excellent repro? I am afraid of a getting repro that is crappy.

I also want to buy a Tankers jacket, any good makers that look and feel real?

I really apreciate the help.

I just want to ask here first before I go and buy. I read many of the repro makers and they all claim theres is the best. I want to get the ones that the reenactors use and stand behind.

Thank you to any and all replies.

Chad

Hey Chad,

I agree that when new and right out of the box they look pretty crappy, but after dubbing them up and putting a coat of polish on them they turn out pretty good. Whatever you do shelf the originals you have and by a repop pair. Some people swear by ATF, some swear by WWII Impressions, and some love WPG's boots. Your a member of the Reenactors forum, go to the vendors section and check out the feedback on all three of these vendors boots. It seems that the concensus is that all three make a pretty good repop boot. I like my double buckles from ATF and I also like my low quarter roughouts from WPG. Both pairs have had years of use in the field with no problems.

Here is a pic of my ATF double buckles, not originals, and not perfect, but not bad for repops. ;)

miscpics518.jpg

cmjordan77

Dang,

Those look really good actually for Repro's. What kind of dubbing do you use? I have polish, and I have seen WWII Boot dubbing for sale online. What kind did you use on the boots?

Regarding a M-41 and a Tankers jacket, have you purchased any from the repro makers? Any that you would recommend? I met a guy at a local gun show. He had a repro M-41 jacket on, it looked visibly okay. He handed me the jacket to look at, and right off the bat I could tell a difference. The weight, buttons, inside lining etc were not up to par (in my opinion), I do not remember where he got the jacket, but I do know that it was not from ATF, WPG, or WWII.

I really appreciate everyone's help in this. Money is hard to come by nowaday's and I have to watch everything I buy. I cannot afford to buy 1 jacket, not like it, sell it for less than what I paid (and not use it), and then have to buy another jacket. If I had enough cash, I wouldnt mind at all. I just have to watch my spending.

If anyone else has any information, it would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thank you!!

Chad, here is a link to the repop tanker jackets. http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...showtopic=16424

Mine is pictured about halfway down on page 2. It is one that I purchased from ATF.

As far as my other repop jackets I also have a ATF m43 and about a ten year old Sturm m41.

I can tell you that as far as the m43's go I have matched up side by side WPG's m43 vs ATF's m43 and ATF's is much better than WPG's. The pockets are way off on WPG's jacket, and the fit to me is bad. I like the look and fit of my Sturm m41, and other than the fact that I did have to change all of the buttons thumbdown.gif (they were green and I put on brown ones) its a pretty good jacket.

Hope this all helps you out.

Aaron

cmjordan77

Any luck on Low boots? I know that WWII Impressions said theirs was by far the best. I have decided I am going to get LOW Boots, and another pair of double buckle boots. Then later on get a pair of Corcoran's just to have.

Regarding the STURM M-41, where can you buy these?

Thank you for help!

cmjordan77

I was thinking about getting the 2 pair special from ATF for $199. I can get a Pair of Service Shoe and the 2 buckle boots. Do you think the Service shoes are the best for the money? Do they compare with the WWII Impression service shoes? I have seen reviews on the double buckle, and the roughouts, but nothing on the ATF Service shoe. How do they line up? I want to get a great pair. Regardless if I get 2 for 199 or if I pay $150 for 1 pair. I want to get the closest to the original's and the best.

Can someone please advise?

Thank you to all who have replied! and to all that do reply!

cmjordan77

I have 1 more question.

I am considering either 1 pair of ROUGH OUTS from ATF and 1 pair of ROUGH OUTS from WWII Impressions. I want to see who would rather have what?

Regardless of price. ATF does a good boot, but it seems they use cheaper product, not bad, or anything like that, just slightly cheaper to try and help out the reenactor. But I am not sure if WWII Impr. does anything better to charge another $30.

I am trying to figure out what I should do. Any recommendations.

Thank you all!