Carbine & Pistol Magazine Pouches (Twin Pocket)

bilko1

As you may gather most are by S.Froehlich Co. Apart from the belt type [with eye lets] thats by Pittsburg Garter.

post-39-1169672853.jpg

Johan Willaert

Has anyone ever come across a US made 1944 dated Carbine (stock-with press stud) Pouch?

It seems they were all made in 1943 and I only saw one Rifle or Carbine pouch dated 1943, all others were 1944.

craig_pickrall

Notice these first two pouches do not have the grommets for the M1910 Belt Hook. I think these pouches were made during Vietnam and supplied to irregular troops that were equiped with the Carbine or M1.

post-5-1169677592.jpg

post-5-1169677600.jpg

post-5-1169677609.jpg

post-5-1169677618.jpg

craig_pickrall

USMC Pouches.

The second design can be used to carry either Carbine or .45 Magazines.

post-5-1169677812.jpg

post-5-1169677822.jpg

post-5-1169677829.jpg

Greg Robinson
.45 Magazine pockets

post-5-1169678183.jpg

post-5-1169678195.jpg

post-5-1169678203.jpg

Yep...."R M CO" made pistol belts and pistol magazine pockets for the Marine Corps. The last contracts were 1940 and 1941 and that color shade is quite distinctive and definitive for being USMC. When S FROEHLICH took over production of these items for the Marines in 1942 they switched to the more typical greenish tan color.

craig_pickrall
Is it unusual to have a pistol pouch mfg stamped and not have the U.S. on the front and not be so marked usmc?I have one like that :)

Dave.

There is a lot of US Lend Lease stuff coming out of Russia that is marked like that. Artu knows a lot about that stuff. Maybe he will comment.

General Apathy

post-344-1169759885.jpg

Is it unusual to have a pistol pouch mfg stamped and not have the U.S. on the front and not be so marked usmc?I have one like that :)

Dave.

Hi everyone on this post about pouches. there has been mention on this thread about the company 'R.M. Co' and their products, and as seen above the quote about items not being marked U.S. or even USMC. Here are two belts by R.M. Co and dated 1941, and the waterbottle cover is made by J.A. Shoe 1941, none of these are marked U.S. or USMC. These I have had for thirty years or so and definately not come out of Russia. Cheers ( Lewis )

craig_pickrall

RM Co had a USMC contract in 1941. That accounts for the belt. The ,45 Mag pouch also came with the belt and is marked the same. It has that special USMC mustard color.

post-5-1169760671.jpg

The canteen cover I'm not sure about.

There is a lot of US Lend Lease stuff coming out of Russia that is marked like that. Artu knows a lot about that stuff. Maybe he will comment.

My pouches didn't come out of Russia as I had them way before that stuff was found.

The pouches I mentioned came out of somewere hot and most were JQMD 42 and Midwest Duck and Canvas 1942.

• 1 year later...

Hi,

I was wondering, the ones with two sewn on straps on the back are those the type that fit onto the stock of the gun?

Thanks.

Andrew

Greg Robinson
Hi,

I was wondering, the ones with two sewn on straps on the back are those the type that fit onto the stock of the gun?

Thanks.

Andrew

Those are the carbine magazine pouches that fit on a belt.

Those are the carbine magazine pouches that fit on a belt.

Thanks...so which ones go one the stock?

The utterly confused Andrew

:blink:

craig_pickrall

Look at post # 11. All 3 of those will fit on the stock. It is the type with the big tunnel for fitting on the web belt. The tunnel is like the early .45 mag pouches.

Attached is an M1 carbine ammo pouch that I've traded for tonight. I thought that this one is unusual in that it is much darker than the pouches that I've had in the past.

post-245-1226455993.jpg

post-245-1226456025.jpg

post-245-1226456134.jpg