PASGT Stats

Bugme

It seems now that the PASGT is gaining interest among collectors, it's fitting that we know what we're looking at. Below are some basic facts about this helmet to help collectors understand the size codes and other vital stats concerning this helmet.

Personnel Armor System for Ground Troops Helmet

The Personnel Armor System Ground Troops (PASGT) helmet is the standard infantry helmet. The item was originally type-classified in the late 1970s and fielded in early 1980s.

The helmet provides ballistic protection from fragmenting munitions to the head, temple, ear and neck areas. It is available in five sizes. The helmet shell is a one-piece composite structure made up of multiple levels of Kevlar® aramid fiber. The PASGT is made of Kevlar® 29 and weighs between 3.1 lbs (x-s) and 4.2 lbs (x-l). The recently type-classified version, made of Kevlar® KM2, weighs approximately 10 % less. The chinstrap is a two point design, having an open chincup and two adjustable buckles and a single snap fastener on the left. When the wearer has a properly sized helmet, the helmet's cradle-type suspension provides standoff between the head and inner helmet surface allowing for ventilation and deformation during impact. A cloth cover is available in several camouflage patterns. A band is used in conjunction with the cover. For parachutists, a pad, retention strap, and liner are available to provide impact protection and increase helmet stability during airborne operations.

Changes And Improvements:

The PASGT helmet has undergone a multi-phase Soldier Enhancement Program (SEP). That program has type-classified several improvements to the PASGT helmet improving helmet comfort, stability, and safety.

Suspension: In 1997 A new suspension assembly (webbing) and headband have been type-classified, providing better stability, more comfort, and eliminating the metal clips. The suspension system and headband are 1.5 inches wide and hook/loop tape is used to attach the headband to the suspension assembly.

Comfort Pad: The Comfort Pad is a 5-3/8 inch diameter foam pad that provides comfort in the crown area of the helmet. It attaches to the suspension webbing with a hook/loop strap.

Parachutists' Impact Liner: The Parachutists' Impact Liner (PIL) is a foam pad that is slid into the helmet between the suspension webbing and helmet shell. It improves non-ballistic (bump) impact protection by approximately 25%. It is easily installed and removed in seconds.

Suspension Assembly:

XS 8470-01-442-2969

S 8470-01-442-2990

M 8470-01-442-2995

L 8470-01-442-3001

XL 8470-01-442-3021

Headband:

XS 8470-01-442-1434

S-M-L 8470-01-442-1429

XL 8470-01-442-1430

Parachutists' Impact Liner:

One size: 8465-01-420-4920

Comfort Pad:

One size: 8470-01-364-7074

helmet_kevlar_101st_375_1_.jpg

The picture below shows some upgrades which were made to the PASGT suspension system by the fitting of pads. These pads are part of the Advanced Combat Helmet (ACH). At the same time, various companies have developed update kits for the current PASGT. This brings the helmet up to the same level of protection as the new ACH.

pasgt_and_upgrade_3_1_.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Of course the high praise for the PASGT is that it stops bullets. Below, USMC Lance Cpl. Bradley Snipes holds the helmet that saved his life after an enemy sniper took a shot at his head.

pri110205b.jpg

The Meatcan

Holy cow! those are some photos!

Maybe this is a dumb question, but why was the switch made from PASGT to ACH helmet? Just from looking at photos it would seem that the PASGT covers more of someone's head. think.gif

hawkdriver

Several reasons for the switch to the ACH. First and foremost is the inability of soldiers to have full vision capability while wearing body armor when in the prone position. With the new IBA, it was almost physically impossible to lay in the prone and be able to tilt your head up enough to get a sight picture. When issued my IBA, I still had the old PASGT for awhile and the only way I could qualify was to turn my helmet around backwards so that I could get my head up far enough to see the sights. The cut in the back is higher, covering less area, which is a concern and it is a tradeoff. While I was in Iraq, there was talk of a cloth Kevlar pad to replace the nape pad for better ballistic protection and it was touted as a quick fix and rush to the field, but we never saw them. The brim of the PASGT had no real purpose and hindered NVG mounting.

As for the material, the PASGT is built with a resin impregnated loose weave kevlar material that is very evident on the inside of the helmet, but the ACH is made from a better material so that they can use less of it to lighten the helmet. The pad system was invented for the ACH and works very well for adjusting the weight around for comfort. Putting pads into the PASGT was an afterthought by the good idea fairy that made sense. No PASGT as far as I know was ever manufactured with the Oregon Aero or MSA pad system, only retrofit. The abrupt brim of the ACH is conducive to NVG mounting in that it allows the NV to be mounted closer to the eyes when needed, where the PASGT was cumbersom and with the bill caused the NV to be sit further out, causing it to be unbalanced and a literal pain in the neck. The chinstrap of the PASGT is a two point that allows the helmet to pivot and in a blast, the helmet can be more easily rotated down, breaking the nose, or rotated back and impacting the cervical spine. The ACH has a four point system with a nape pad that prevents this pivoting. The last thing is that the ACH has a hole drilled in the front so that the NV mount can be mounted directly and permanently to the helmet, preventing having to put a strap system on every time you want to "goggle up". The ACH is a much better helmet than the PASGT in my opinion.

On another note, I went to clothing sales the other day and was looking for some bargains, what I found was that the PASGT supplies are drying up. I bought the last two parachutist retention straps, the last nape pad, and the last three retention harnesses for the PASGT. There were two green chin straps and a handful of the foilage green ones left. There were no helmet covers left. If you are wanting to collect this helmet or think that maybe in the future you will, would advise stocking up as these items are drawing down.

By the way Bugme, the two helmets in your NV picture are not PASGT, I think they may be law enforcement knock offs. The law enforcement community wears a helmet similar to the PASGT and it can usually be identified by a smooth surface and lack of retention strap screws. The retention strap nut in the outside of the earcup sits a little higher than the one in the PASGT. These helmets usually have the pad system.

craig_pickrall

Great topic, thanks for starting it.

I have attached some SPEC pages and Press Releases that date to the original release in 1978 / 79.

post-5-1211556903.jpg

post-5-1211556909.jpg

Great thread! Love these helmets.

Hope you don't mind a contribution to the thread. I have 4 PASGT's in various configurations...most have aftermarket upgrades.

Here is a pic of the Parachutist Foam Impact Liner installed. Also shows the Ensolite pad. This one also has the 2-sided Marpat Marine Cover and NVG mount.

post-1940-1211657927.jpg

Another pic showing how the impact liner and Ensolite pad fit together. The impact liner has several removable sections for a perfect fit.

post-1940-1211658177.jpg

• 11 months later...
Cobrahistorian
Another pic showing how the impact liner and Ensolite pad fit together. The impact liner has several removable sections for a perfect fit.

post-1940-1211658177.jpg

I see you've got the experimental 3-point chinstrap in it as well. Mine's got the same thing. Whenever we're on the range, people always marvel at my cool suspension on a PASGT helmet. Of course, I still haven't gotten an ACH issued from my unit, but the only time we wear them is for IWQ.

• 3 weeks later...
The picture below shows some upgrades which were made to the PASGT suspension system by the fitting of pads. These pads are part of the Advanced Combat Helmet (ACH). At the same time, various companies have developed update kits for the current PASGT. This brings the helmet up to the same level of protection as the new ACH.

The replacement liner doesn't alter the protection level of the helmet; the PASGT is still inferior to the ACH.

A few other comments: PASGT was type classfied in 1978 and was not an infantry helmet, it was issued to everybody. Both photos showing soldiers with helmets struck by projectiles are ACH's, not PASGT helmets. The Marine may well be holding one of the new USMC lightweight helmets too. Hard to tell from the photo.

Hawkdriver: if you take out the front suspension screw on your PASGT you can use it to hold the NVG mount on and ditch that stupid strap.

VolunteerArmoury

The PASGT helmet has undergone a multi-phase Soldier Enhancement Program (SEP). That program has type-classified several improvements to the PASGT helmet improving helmet comfort, stability, and safety.

Suspension: In 1997 A new suspension assembly (webbing) and headband have been type-classified, providing better stability, more comfort, and eliminating the metal clips. The suspension system and headband are 1.5 inches wide and hook/loop tape is used to attach the headband to the suspension assembly.

Comfort Pad: The Comfort Pad is a 5-3/8 inch diameter foam pad that provides comfort in the crown area of the helmet. It attaches to the suspension webbing with a hook/loop strap.

Parachutists' Impact Liner: The Parachutists' Impact Liner (PIL) is a foam pad that is slid into the helmet between the suspension webbing and helmet shell. It improves non-ballistic (bump) impact protection by approximately 25%. It is easily installed and removed in seconds.

What's the change in the suspension? I don't recall having seen an issued different suspension. I recall the newer sweatband and the three point chinstrap which my K-pot has those. I'm just removed from TRADOC land so I still have a K-pot just with a ACU cover and the reflective band for cadre with a big freaking nail in a foliage slit.

Also what's the comfort pad look like? I'm only aware of the Parachutist pad.

What's the change in the suspension? I don't recall having seen an issued different suspension. I recall the newer sweatband and the three point chinstrap which my K-pot has those. I'm just removed from TRADOC land so I still have a K-pot just with a ACU cover and the reflective band for cadre with a big freaking nail in a foliage slit.

Also what's the comfort pad look like? I'm only aware of the Parachutist pad.

The only change in the suspension was the modification to attach the headband with velcro instead of those insane metal clips. The main suspension band and the headband itself are a bit wider too. All other suspension changes are commerical mods privately purchased. The comfort pad goes in the crown like the old foam donut pads, but it's much smaller, has vent holes in it, but no center hole, and has a velcro loop on the back so it stays put.

There was an experimental Chin-strap tested by the 82ndABN 1985-86 time frame.

I recall the 82nd ABN division commander used it in a training jump in Turkey, lost his helmet and was injured so bad-he was medically retired.

• 7 months later...

Here's some more pictures of my PASGT Helmet and others models that replaced the PASGT helmet ;

1. The PASGT Helmet ;

IMG_0425.JPG

IMG_0437.JPG (With rear pad and strap for parachutists)

IMG_0597.JPG (replacement chin strap in desert color, as used in the beginning of OIF - 2003)

The parachutists add "Foam Impact Liner" more ;

pasgt.jpg

And another sort of foam inserts (for infantry ?) ;

vue%20intérieure%20d

The PASGT Helmet was use until 2003-2004 for the USMC and then replaced bye the Lightweight Helmet (LWH). The Lightweight helmet has the same design, but another liner inside. The LWH was only produced by GENTEX and has one "X" chin strap with EGA (Eagle And Globe). After the LWH, there's another update called "MCCH" (Marine Corps Combat Helmet). It's the same design tha LWH and PASGT but with pads.

The US Army troop continued to wear the PASGT until 2005-2006. At this period they were replaced bye the new "ACH" (Army Combat Helmet) / MICH (Modular Integrated Communications Helmet) / TBH (Tactical Ballistic Helmet). The design is considerably modified and a new chin strap is adopted, in 'H' form. The inside liner was replaced by pads.

2. Lightweight Helmet (LWH) of the USMC ;

In comparison with the PASGT, there's not some change in design.

USMC-floating-Small.jpg

The most important change is the interior ;

71244410.jpg

IMG_4120.JPG (differents parts of the interior liner)

IMG_4129.JPG

IMG_4126.JPG

IMG_4124.JPG

Note : the chin strap is currently changed by another one in coyote brown color. It's new !